• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Doctor Who: "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" - spoilers

Kesh

Villager
I'm going to preemptively create a thread for the American broadcast of these two episodes tonight on Sci-Fi. Season finale, folks!

If the spoilers I've been trying to avoid are right, this should go out with a bang...

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Atom

Villager
Yes, yes it did.

I won't deliberately post any spoilers, but I gotta love the smack talk between Dalek and Cyberman:

"The Cybermen are superior in one aspect only: You are better at dying."

The Cybermen got in a few zingers in reply, but the awesomeness of the rest of the episode have driven everything out of my head except their comment that the Daleks have no sense of elegance. It was effectively delivered, if a bit weak as insults go.

Oh, man, they haven't started showing Season 3 across the pond, and already I can't wait for it to be shown over here. At least I can fill the time with the DVD set of Season 2 (out in late January).

TWK
For Queen and Country!

Ed_Laprade

Villager
Great stuff! If we had to lose Billie Piper, at least she went out with some powerful acting. However, I couldn't help but think that if there's a Torchwood on 'Pete's World' (love the name), there has to be a Doctor as well. Because there wouldn't be one without him.

BlueBlackRed

Villager
I really liked that one.

Losing a companion in this incarnation of the show seems quite a bit different than the previous one.

I loved these episodes. :D What a great way to end such an impressive season, and an especially great sendoff to Rose. Although I will sadly miss Billie Piper :( , as she was such an important part to the new series' success, I'm pretty sure the series will go on strong with new companion Martha Jones (played Freema Agyeman). Here's to more time travelling goodness. :)

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone.

Wycen

Villager
Yes, this transition from old companion to new is way different. Of course it has been several years since I've seen any of the old shows. I think it has to do with the difference in audience expectations. Now we'd all be pissed at the abrupt "unfinished" business of just dropping one off and picking up another.

However, an interesting question was brought up, one I had thought of during the episode with the farting aliens.

Where is UNIT? Honestly in my mind UNIT was Leftbridge Stewart and that's who I'd like to see, but UNIT usually got along with the Doctor. Did the Doctor change the timestream so that UNIT doesn't exist or did they all get wiped out during the farting alien bit? Is it one of those weird, "the rights to UNIT belong to someone else" things?

Wycen said:
Where is UNIT? Honestly in my mind UNIT was Leftbridge Stewart and that's who I'd like to see, but UNIT usually got along with the Doctor. Did the Doctor change the timestream so that UNIT doesn't exist or did they all get wiped out during the farting alien bit? Is it one of those weird, "the rights to UNIT belong to someone else" things?
They're still around - one of the Torchwood episodes has a character working on a report for UNIT. Other than that, there's no information to share that I'm aware of.

Darrell

Villager
delericho said:
They're still around - one of the Torchwood episodes has a character working on a report for UNIT. Other than that, there's no information to share that I'm aware of.
Plus, the 'farting alien' episodes had Mickey accessing a bit of deus ex machina by cribbing access through the UNIT computers...using access codes/passwords provided by The Doctor. Since computers were little more than calculators when the Pertwee Doctor was hangin' out with UNIT, I'm assuming the Doctor has kept up with them, at least surriptitiously.

In any case, these episodes were absolutely brilliant. All the Cybermen/Dalek-y goodness you could wish for. :) Though I'm still sorry to see Rose go. :(

Regards,
Darrell King

BrooklynKnight

Villager
Ok, so Torchwood Season 1 takes place after Who Season 2, because the events of Torchwood reference the events of Season 2. (Specifically the Doctors Hand, and the destruction of Canary Warf and the Cybermen..)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BrooklynKnight said:
Ok, so Torchwood Season 1 takes place after Who Season 2, because the events of Torchwood reference the events of Season 2. (Specifically the Doctors Hand, and the destruction of Canary Warf and the Cybermen..)
Yes.

Richards

Adventurer
Wycen said:
Believe it or not, the real-life United Nations took issue with the fact that Doctor Who was using a fictional "military" branch of the UN, and asked them to stop using UNIT in the show.

Johnathan

Ed_Laprade

Villager
Speaking of UNIT, one thing did annoy me. The head of Torchwood kept gushing about the legends of the Doctor. Appearently she fell asleep during part of her briefing where they explained that he'd been on Earth for several years serving as a consultant.

Erik Mona

Villager
Richards said:
Believe it or not, the real-life United Nations took issue with the fact that Doctor Who was using a fictional "military" branch of the UN, and asked them to stop using UNIT in the show.
I don't believe it, since U.N.I.T. has appeared in the Aliens of London two-parter, in "The Christmas Invasion" (their logo even appears on a couple of sliding doors), and it's all over Torchwood.

Do you have a reference for the United Nations story?

--Erik

The sight of all those daleks pouring out of the prison was impressive.

On the subject of a Pete's World Doctor, I think he could be a version of the Ninth Doctor because the regeneration only happened when our Doctor sacrificed himself for Rose.

Wycen

Villager
Spoiler space just in case you are reading this...

and haven't yet seen the episode.

The Torchwood lady, the director or whatever her title was, I liked. Then she went and simply walked into her death, not even trying to fight. Which of course then leads to the question of how Jackie escaped down the stair case, but I'll hand wave that away.

I mean if you are going to die, and you are all gung ho, wouldn't you at least try to run? I guess though she pulled off a Doctor Zarkoff and kept her personality, despite reprogramming. The tear of oil was a bit cheesy though.

Cthulhudrew

Villager
Erik Mona said:
Do you have a reference for the United Nations story?
According to Wikipedia, Russell T. Davies is the one who mentioned it in his column in Doctor Who Magazine #360 (August 2005). They can still use the name "UNIT", but can't say what it stands for (United Nations Intelligence Taskforce).

Of course, that's Wikipedia, so take that FWIW.

That being said, I do recall some discussion of it a year or so ago when it all came up, though I can't find any references or online quotes offhand right now. Possibly something I read on Outpost Gallifrey though I can't find it now (if it exists!)

Advertisement