Doctor Who: "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" - spoilers

Kesh

First Post
I'm going to preemptively create a thread for the American broadcast of these two episodes tonight on Sci-Fi. Season finale, folks!

If the spoilers I've been trying to avoid are right, this should go out with a bang...

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Atom

Explorer
Yes, yes it did.

I won't deliberately post any spoilers, but I gotta love the smack talk between Dalek and Cyberman:

"The Cybermen are superior in one aspect only: You are better at dying."

The Cybermen got in a few zingers in reply, but the awesomeness of the rest of the episode have driven everything out of my head except their comment that the Daleks have no sense of elegance. It was effectively delivered, if a bit weak as insults go.

Oh, man, they haven't started showing Season 3 across the pond, and already I can't wait for it to be shown over here. At least I can fill the time with the DVD set of Season 2 (out in late January).

TWK
For Queen and Country!

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Great stuff! If we had to lose Billie Piper, at least she went out with some powerful acting. However, I couldn't help but think that if there's a Torchwood on 'Pete's World' (love the name), there has to be a Doctor as well. Because there wouldn't be one without him.

horacethegrey

First Post
I loved these episodes. :D What a great way to end such an impressive season, and an especially great sendoff to Rose. Although I will sadly miss Billie Piper :( , as she was such an important part to the new series' success, I'm pretty sure the series will go on strong with new companion Martha Jones (played Freema Agyeman). Here's to more time travelling goodness. :)

_41417475_freema1_203pa.jpg

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone.

Wycen

Explorer
Yes, this transition from old companion to new is way different. Of course it has been several years since I've seen any of the old shows. I think it has to do with the difference in audience expectations. Now we'd all be pissed at the abrupt "unfinished" business of just dropping one off and picking up another.

However, an interesting question was brought up, one I had thought of during the episode with the farting aliens.

Where is UNIT? Honestly in my mind UNIT was Leftbridge Stewart and that's who I'd like to see, but UNIT usually got along with the Doctor. Did the Doctor change the timestream so that UNIT doesn't exist or did they all get wiped out during the farting alien bit? Is it one of those weird, "the rights to UNIT belong to someone else" things?

delericho

Legend
Wycen said:
Where is UNIT? Honestly in my mind UNIT was Leftbridge Stewart and that's who I'd like to see, but UNIT usually got along with the Doctor. Did the Doctor change the timestream so that UNIT doesn't exist or did they all get wiped out during the farting alien bit? Is it one of those weird, "the rights to UNIT belong to someone else" things?

They're still around - one of the Torchwood episodes has a character working on a report for UNIT. Other than that, there's no information to share that I'm aware of.

Darrell

First Post
delericho said:
They're still around - one of the Torchwood episodes has a character working on a report for UNIT. Other than that, there's no information to share that I'm aware of.

Plus, the 'farting alien' episodes had Mickey accessing a bit of deus ex machina by cribbing access through the UNIT computers...using access codes/passwords provided by The Doctor. Since computers were little more than calculators when the Pertwee Doctor was hangin' out with UNIT, I'm assuming the Doctor has kept up with them, at least surriptitiously.

In any case, these episodes were absolutely brilliant. All the Cybermen/Dalek-y goodness you could wish for. :) Though I'm still sorry to see Rose go. :(

Regards,
Darrell King

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Ok, so Torchwood Season 1 takes place after Who Season 2, because the events of Torchwood reference the events of Season 2. (Specifically the Doctors Hand, and the destruction of Canary Warf and the Cybermen..)

Remove ads