Doctor Who: "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" - spoilers

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BrooklynKnight said:
Ok, so Torchwood Season 1 takes place after Who Season 2, because the events of Torchwood reference the events of Season 2. (Specifically the Doctors Hand, and the destruction of Canary Warf and the Cybermen..)

Yes.

Richards

Legend
Wycen said:
Where is UNIT? Honestly in my mind UNIT was Leftbridge Stewart and that's who I'd like to see, but UNIT usually got along with the Doctor. Did the Doctor change the timestream so that UNIT doesn't exist or did they all get wiped out during the farting alien bit? Is it one of those weird, "the rights to UNIT belong to someone else" things?
Believe it or not, the real-life United Nations took issue with the fact that Doctor Who was using a fictional "military" branch of the UN, and asked them to stop using UNIT in the show.

Johnathan

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Speaking of UNIT, one thing did annoy me. The head of Torchwood kept gushing about the legends of the Doctor. Appearently she fell asleep during part of her briefing where they explained that he'd been on Earth for several years serving as a consultant.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Richards said:
Believe it or not, the real-life United Nations took issue with the fact that Doctor Who was using a fictional "military" branch of the UN, and asked them to stop using UNIT in the show.

I don't believe it, since U.N.I.T. has appeared in the Aliens of London two-parter, in "The Christmas Invasion" (their logo even appears on a couple of sliding doors), and it's all over Torchwood.

Do you have a reference for the United Nations story?

--Erik

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
The sight of all those daleks pouring out of the prison was impressive.

On the subject of a Pete's World Doctor, I think he could be a version of the Ninth Doctor because the regeneration only happened when our Doctor sacrificed himself for Rose.

Wycen

Explorer
Spoiler space just in case you are reading this...

and haven't yet seen the episode.

The Torchwood lady, the director or whatever her title was, I liked. Then she went and simply walked into her death, not even trying to fight. Which of course then leads to the question of how Jackie escaped down the stair case, but I'll hand wave that away.

I mean if you are going to die, and you are all gung ho, wouldn't you at least try to run? I guess though she pulled off a Doctor Zarkoff and kept her personality, despite reprogramming. The tear of oil was a bit cheesy though.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Do you have a reference for the United Nations story?

According to Wikipedia, Russell T. Davies is the one who mentioned it in his column in Doctor Who Magazine #360 (August 2005). They can still use the name "UNIT", but can't say what it stands for (United Nations Intelligence Taskforce).

Of course, that's Wikipedia, so take that FWIW.

That being said, I do recall some discussion of it a year or so ago when it all came up, though I can't find any references or online quotes offhand right now. Possibly something I read on Outpost Gallifrey though I can't find it now (if it exists!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases