D&D 5E Does anyone know a good psion?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
and more importantly, how to get one to work as I know a guy who wants to play one in my upcoming game I am playing in and people oddly look to me to explain things to them so anyone got any and know how to play them as that is really stopping me from recommending them on anything?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a sign at a community centre near me that advertises a psychic on a Thursday night in early 2020. I suspect they were not a good psion, as they clearly failed to foresee the pandemic (or change the sign).

So, no. I know a bad psion, but not a good one.

Scribe

Legend
and more importantly, how to get one to work as I know a guy who wants to play one in my upcoming game I am playing in and people oddly look to me to explain things to them so anyone got any and know how to play them as that is really stopping me from recommending them on anything?
I'm hoping this is good.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm hoping this is good.

nice but will be likely too late I need some homebrew that will be here in Jan, sep is march is a bit far form from the intended start of the game.
but I had heard of them.
thank you for trying.

Yaarel

He Mage

Each edition had a different way of doing psionics. There are fans for different kinds of Psion.

I like the 3e Expanded Psionic Handbook Psion. It is moreorless a Wizard using spell points, with a thematic choice of spells.

In 5e, the Bard makes an awesome Psion for prescience (divinination, luck), telepathy (charm, illusion), psychometabolism (shapechange, heal), even psychoportation. Allow Bard to use features without any spell components and focus. The Bard is an awesome Psion as-is, especially for the non-flashy psychic powers.

The Bard lacks telekinesis. If telekinesis is important to the character concept, maybe create a background that grants the Bard spell knowledge. (Compare Strixhaven backgrounds.)

KINETE
Background
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Nature
Spell Knowledge: At each new class level, choose one spell from the following list whose spell level you can cast. You know this spell, and can cast it using the spell slots of your spellcasting class.

Mage Hand, Eldritch Blast.
Unseen Servant, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield.
Levitation, Spiritual Weapon.
Fly, Tiny Hut.
Freedom of Movement, Otilukes Resilient Sphere.
Wall of Force, Telekinesis.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I second Kibble's Psion, or just use the UA mystic with a few houserules:

1) The Psion must be focusing on a discipline to use the powers from it.
2) Lower the number of disciplines known so that the mystic cant ''do anything'' like it was often complained.

If nothing works, there's always the solution to use a wizard template + curated spell list + spell points.

nice but will be likely too late I need some homebrew that will be here in Jan, sep is march is a bit far form from the intended start of the game.
but I had heard of them.
thank you for trying.
You can download the preview of the psion class for free

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Not a person, but I swear I had a dog that was a psion once. He'd just walk up to me, whimper, and stare at me. I'd ask him "What?", he'd stare. "What do you want?"...more staring. "I don't know what you want..."... he'd stare, do a little front-paw dance with a slight bark, "Snack? You want a snack?"... WOOF! "No, you just had a snack!" ... stares at me and sits. "No... I mean... really?" ...stare a bit, look at floor and only glance up off and on until eye contact. "Ok. FINE! You can have ONE more Pupperoni. ONE!".

Then I'd give him a snack and sit down.

Pretty sure he was using psionic's on me...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
How much info do you want to have to read through?

Because it'd be easy to make a psion using Spheres of Power: Incanter with the Esper subclass and focus on talents from Mind and Telekinesis.

There's also Green Ronin's Blue Rose for 5e, but that'd be buying a whole book just for the tweaks they make so casting is psychic-like.

Remove ads