Dragon Bile Poison

takasi

First Post
From the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison

Dragon Bile poison is 1500 gp. To craft it, using the rules from BoVD, I think the cost would be 250 gp for the raw materials. What is the craft DC?

Also, if you use a weapon to deliver the contact poison, is it a standard action to hit the target? Can you try to hit him with iterative attacks? Is it a touch attack with a weapon? here is what the raw says:

"Merely touching this type of poison necessitates a saving throw. It can be actively delivered via a weapon or a touch attack. Even if a creature has sufficient damage reduction to avoid taking any damage from the attack, the poison can still affect it. A chest or other object can be smeared with contact poison as part of a trap. "

A drow with dragon bile poison on his rapier attacks a creature. The creature has a touch AC of 11 and a normal AC of 15. The drow uses a full attack and gets a 13 on his first hit and a 16 on his second hit. How should a DM resolve this?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
I think in case of the "what if i hit the touch ac but not the normal AC'

you miss. I know it may seem the poison could work, but i think its much like spells. If you choose to make a spell on a fist get extra damage from strength, You have to hit the full ac. If you miss, you miss, even if its a touch spell.

The same would go for contact poison i would think. The risk you take is if you hit, you get extra damage along with the poision. The downside is that if you miss the normal ac, you miss. If you ask to hit with a touch ac, that might be ok, but you forgo strength.

attacks never hit on a miss that i know of.

if poison still works if you beat the touch attack (but but you were trying to hit the the normal ac) you open up flaming weapons to that same loophole imho.

lukelightning

First Post
The trouble with the "touch" part is that I don't think that just wiping poison on someone's clothing or armor will poison them. I might rule that if you apply a contact poison to a weapon you still need to succeed with a regular attack (not touch attack) to inflict it.

After all, flaming weapons work this way. You need to succeed with a regular attack to do the +1d6 damage; just touching with the weapon won't work.

wildstarsreach

First Post
lukelightning said:
The trouble with the "touch" part is that I don't think that just wiping poison on someone's clothing or armor will poison them. I might rule that if you apply a contact poison to a weapon you still need to succeed with a regular attack (not touch attack) to inflict it.

After all, flaming weapons work this way. You need to succeed with a regular attack to do the +1d6 damage; just touching with the weapon won't work.

I would agree with this in most cases until you begin to talk about creatures with natural armor. Let us say a dragon. A touch attack should be enough. It will probably save but this has a chance. Any time you have physical armor or clothes I think it actually needs to penetrate the actual AC. My drow in his game is the one in which he is asking about.

lukelightning

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
I would agree with this in most cases until you begin to talk about creatures with natural armor. Let us say a dragon. A touch attack should be enough. It will probably save but this has a chance. Any time you have physical armor or clothes I think it actually needs to penetrate the actual AC. My drow in his game is the one in which he is asking about.

But what about something like a dragon turtle? I'd say that the poison certainly can't just soak through its shell. And if I attack said dragon with a shocking rapier, do you check the touch attack to see if I at least connect with the dragon and shock it?

Cameron Gilbert

First Post
The weapon needs to hit for the weapon to actually make contact with skin. Therefore, standard A.C. needs to be beaten. After the attack hits, then the save is warranted. That's pretty much the Tl;Dr of what these gents are trying to say

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases