DRAGON & DUNGEON Magazine PDFs Coming To An Online Store Near You!

Right now, there are only three issues (all from the D&D 4E period), but WotC has just put two issues of DUNGEON Magazine and one issue of DRAGON Magazine up online in PDF format for $4.99 each. Does this mean more are to come? (Thanks to Echohawk for the scoop).

The issues in question are DRAGON #364, DUNGEON #155, and DUNGEON #156. They're available at dndclassics.com, which is the branch of DTRPG/RPGNow which is geared towards just WotC material, and which contains tons of back-catalogue stuff from various editions.

This is an interesting development, and something fans have been asking for for a while. I've grabbed the DRAGON issue, and it's a good quality PDF, the same compilation originally from D&D Insider. Sadly, not in a format suitable for print-on-demand (but hey, I can dream!)

dragon364.jpg
DRAGON #364

dungeon155.jpg
DUNGEON #156

dungeon156.jpg
DUNGEON #155

drag1.jpg

drag2.jpg

delericho

Legend
That's a positive development. Hopefully, they'll find the 'missing' magazines from just after the license ended (Dragon #360, Dungeon #151, and similar) - those seem to have disappeared entirely.

It's perhaps worth noting that PDFs of at least some issues are available on Paizo.com - possibly only of the issues Paizo produced (I haven't checked).

Lastly: hopefully for future issues they'll rotate the cover art by 90 degrees. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
That's a positive development. Hopefully, they'll find the 'missing' magazines from just after the license ended (Dragon #360, Dungeon #151, and similar) - those seem to have disappeared entirely.

If I recall correctly, those issues were free on WotC's cite, rather than being part of the DDI subscription - presumably due to them still having 3.5 content. I hadn't realized that they'd disappeared.

That said, I agree that this is very much a step in the right direction.

delericho

Legend
If I recall correctly, those issues were free on WotC's cite, rather than being part of the DDI subscription

Yep. They actually predate the DDI, being from those few months of the edition changeover.

I hadn't realized that they'd disappeared.

It is, of course, possible that they're still there somewhere - it's not the easiest site to find things on. :)

RichGreen

Adventurer
Great news!

If I recall correctly, those issues were free on WotC's cite, rather than being part of the DDI subscription - presumably due to them still having 3.5 content. I hadn't realized that they'd disappeared.

That said, I agree that this is very much a step in the right direction.
Some of those didn't even make it into PDF format and were left as a series of HMTL articles.

I'd love to see ALL the past issues made available, particularly the pre-3e DUNGEON magazines :)

Cheers

Rich

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Very nice. I remember when they put out a whole electronic collection of Dragon Magazine PDFs for a relatively affordable price. It would be great if they would sell an entire collection on DVDs for $50-$70.

callinostros

Explorer
To take this a step further...could this be a test to see if there is a market for a digital Dragon/Dungeon magazine for 5E? Could they be planning a Dragon magazine for $4.99 for a month's content? Instead of putting it behind a subscription, will they release a new monthly digital magazine where people buy 1 magazine at a time?

RichGreen

Adventurer
I've still got my Dragon CD collection - it's amazing! Only goes up to issue #250 though so I'd love to get #251 through to the 4e issues that I have, plus Dungeon digitally.

It would be great if WotC could also create single PDFs for the 4e "issues" that were only published as individual article PDFs too.

delericho

Legend
To take this a step further...could this be a test to see if there is a market for a digital Dragon/Dungeon magazine for 5E?

I hope not. Because I'd quite happily pay $5 a month for a new electronic Dragon (or, even better, Dungeon), but these issues are too expensive for an edition I don't play. So if this is the test, I've already failed. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases