Drelnza -- where is she now?

In official Greyhawk lore, Drelnza is dead.

In my campaign, she's not. I'm struggling with the issue of what she's up to these days. If other 'hawkers want to read this alternative history and give me and opinion on what you'd have done, that might be fun for you and helpful for me.

In my campaign, a decade ago (Real Life and Game time), the PC's who destroyed her then used powerful magic to bring her back to life. (This party is now retired from play, last seen in Greyhawk's Blackmoor region.) They did that because they knew the backstory on her (again, my campaign's version of things):
-- As in the official version, Drelnza was Iggwilv's daughter
-- Drelnza lead Iggwilv's armies in conquering Perrenland, Ket, and parts of Bissel. One of her actions was against the Dragon Cult of Ashardelon at the Sunless Citadel -- she's the one who staked Gulthias the vampire and thus formed the Gulthias Tree.
-- Later, Drelnza had a change of heart, and turned to Good. She decided to lead a rebellion against her mother. As the rebels were encamped outside Iggwilv's capital at the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Iggwilv sent a vampire to bite her and turn her back to evil. Once she became a vampire, she was back to CE. But it was too late for Iggwilv's Empire. The rebels won, and Iggwilv imprisoned her treasure -- her wayward daughter -- for all eternity before fleeing.

I'm thinking Drelnza, restored to her own self, has been confused and "finding herself" for much of the last decade. I figure she hates her mother and her brother (Iuz). Therefore, my best guestimate is she's fighting with the Knights of Shielding (the Shield Lands) to recover their lands from Iuz.

But she COULD be just about anywhere. Interesting alternatives would be to be involved with the secretive Rary/Robilar project in the Bright Lands, the remnants of the Horned Society, the remnants of the Temple of Elemental Evil, or the cult of Tharizdun . . . which may be a lot fewer than 4 factions secretive evil factions, bwahahaha.

What would you do?

qstor

Adventurer
In the Living Greyhawk campaign which I guess is as "official" as we're going to get for Greyhawk at this point. She didnt die. She reformed and used the gates in the caverns to travel gathering knowledge. Iggwilv returned and Drelnza was working with the Iuzians to further her own ends. She tried to have her agents recover the Demonomicon of Iggwilv.

Mike

grodog

Hero
I've used Drelnza a few different ways in the past:

- she survives S4 and becomes a long-term villain, stalking the PCs over time
- she survives S4 and continues her long-term quest to slay Iggwilv, for any of a variety of reasons (for turning her into a vampire, for imprisoning her, for conceiving Iuz, etc., etc.)
- she survives S4 and allies with Mordenkainen to counter the Scarlet Brotherhood
- she survives S4 and adds Mordenkainen to her hit list for sending in the PCs who attacked her
- she survives S4 and---knowing the environs of the Lost Caverns as well as Iggwilv's Horn and many of her mother's other caches---steals some crucial artifact/information/spell/whatever that the PCs need to convince her to provide to them (assuming that she's too powerful to simply kill and take it, or, that the PCs [justly?] fear Iggwilv's wrath if they do slay her therefore they're forced to negotiate/barter/trade/bribe/whatever)

I'm thinking Drelnza, restored to her own self, has been confused and "finding herself" for much of the last decade. I figure she hates her mother and her brother (Iuz). Therefore, my best guestimate is she's fighting with the Knights of Shielding (the Shield Lands) to recover their lands from Iuz.

But she COULD be just about anywhere. Interesting alternatives would be to be involved with the secretive Rary/Robilar project in the Bright Lands, the remnants of the Horned Society, the remnants of the Temple of Elemental Evil, or the cult of Tharizdun . . . which may be a lot fewer than 4 factions secretive evil factions, bwahahaha.

What would you do?

I'm thinking she might seek out Zagyg, Iuz and Iggwilv's archnemesis, if she was serious about opposing them.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
As I recall, our party of adventurers lay siege to Tsojcanth innnn...1988? '89, maybe? Drelnza was known to become a pile of dust since shortly thereafter.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Dead. In my campaign anyway. She was killed when she popped out of her coffin and attempted to fight my Player's characters. She put up a good fight though!

Now, if you ignore people's individual campaigns and just go with "what if you started a new Greyhawk campaign set in the year CY 596" or something... I suppose she's still asleep in her coffin under Tsojacanth, at least she would be if I started a new GH campaign.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads