Dry Spell

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
OK, players, this is the official IC thread for Dry Spell. Welcome! I know we are itching to go.

Characters are located in the Dry Spell Rogues Gallery.
Minor OOC discussion is OK here (clarifying remarks/questions, etc.), but larger topics would be best addressed in the original OOC thread.

Reminders:

During combat, tactical movement, etc., you will need to tell me your basic intent, what actions you want to take, what feats/abilities you are using, and the like. I will then resolve the action, post what happened, and ask what you want to do next. Please let me know under what contingencies your intent would change. If something obvious happens (like the opponent you wanted to target falls before your turn), I will try to guess what you would most likely do in that case given your intent. So the more info you give me about your intent up front, the better I will be able to resolve the action in accordance with your thinking. For really important moments, I will stop the resolution at your place in the initiative order and ask you for specific instructions (I certainly don't want anyone to feel railroaded).

I will make all rolls, and will post those that you would normally know about (such as attack and damage rolls, purposeful skill checks, and the like), but may not post all modifiers or the DCs (the DM has to have *some* secrets in order to keep the game fun for you, after all ). I will NOT cheat you, but you must accept my decisions as final.

Galethorn

First Post
Eolan turns around from his weapon drills.
"Is it time? I'm ready. I'll just keep practicing with my sword till it's time."
He turns back to the scarecrow he was attacking, and resumes his routine of guards, cuts, and thrusts.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Day 1

I had some unexpected extra time today, so I was able to get the first official game post up. (BTW, still waiting on email addresses for a couple of you. ;) ) Here we go!

Day 1

It is early evening as the weary band of adventurers makes its way into the town of Green Glade. The name of the town seems particularly cruel. It is high summer, and the surrounding countryside is baking in a dry heat. The adventurers have passed farm after farm whose crops are failing. The few streams they have encountered have dried to a trickle. And the rolling grasslands, broken by occasional woods, have taken on the golden brown shade of drying hay.

The public buildings of the middling town, then, are a welcome sight. Although the members of the party have no intention of staying in Green Glade long, the town offers a convenient place to enjoy a hearty meal and to spend the night in a clean bed instead of the wilderness. More importantly, they may find something here to quench their considerable thirst.

The arrival of the adventurers causes a small spectacle. Although the people of this town are used to the presence of traveling parties, this is a particularly impressive group. A large knight rides straight-backed atop a massive warhorse. The knight handles the beast with an expert touch, his manner clearly communicating the great skill and physical prowess of a classically-trained fighter. Walking beside the warrior is a stout figure protected by what appears to be stone armor! The crowd recognizes the dwarf as a priest by his silver Holy Symbol of Moradin, despite his martial appearance. While these people do not worship Moradin, a priest of this deity is welcome nearly everywhere. Behind this vanguard walks a pair of slighter, but no less impressive figures. A fair-yet-grim elf in studded leather carries a rapier (a rare weapon indeed in this area!) and a finely made longbow. His eyes, while not threatening or unsettling in any way, seem to be everywhere at once, as if he could react in a split second to the smallest threat. Beside him, a very small person nearly skips with enthusiasm at the prospect of finding some ale and pipeweed. This delightful creature must be a gnome, though most in this town have seen gnomes only in fairy books, and has the look of an arcanist to boot. (This last prospect has the children of the town nearly shaking with joy, but makes the adults understandably suspicious.) The party is accompanied by a small zoo of animals. Besides the warhorse, there is a pack mule, a dog with the disciplined manner of a trained guard animal, and a stately owl, its eyes hinting at the preternatural intelligence of a magical beast. Whispers in the crowd follow the party as they make their way to the public square, the likely sight of any inns the town might boast.

In the public square you do indeed see a homey inn. The sign hanging over the doors is a wooden replica of a shield, scarlet in color, emblazoned with a golden claw encircled by a laurel wreath. The name on the sign reads The Wyvern’s Claw. The doors are painted the same shade of red. Before making your way to the inn, you stop at the public notice board. Among the usual tattered papers, advertising second hand farm implements for sale and announcing births and public meetings, etc., one in particular catches your attention.

Reward!!!
2,000 pieces of gold
For the head of the bugbear
Relgore Himtooth
Inquire with Lord Nerius Bootlum

The notice is written on fine paper, marked with the same scarlet shield that hangs above the inn.

Intrigued, you tear the notice from the board in the slanting golden light and take it with you. After paying for your rooms and stabling your animals, you sit down in the tavern to eat and discuss the notice. Moments after you sit, while you are still getting comfortable, the tavern manager—a thin, middle aged man—hurries up to you.

“Friends! Welcome to Green Glade and welcome to the Wyvern’s Claw. My name is Graf, and I am at your service. It isn’t often that folk of such obvious distinction visit our humble town."

Graf moves a little closer and lowers his voice in a conspiratorial tone.

“I see that you have found Lord Bootlum’s reward notice for the head of Relgore. The bugbear and his foul gang of humanoids harried our lands for years, plundering the outlying farms, and occasionally going so far as to carry off some of the poor folk that work the land.

“Several months ago, Lord Bootlum dispatched a contingent of the local militia to track down Relgore and his band. The squad killed several of the vermin in open combat and drove off several others, including Relgore. Though they never found his hideout, we have had no trouble from Relgore or his gang since.”

Graf sighs and continues,

“However…Nerius Bootlum is convinced that Relgore lives on—indeed, not only lives on, but actually has something to do with the current drought we find ourselves in the ravishes of. Meaning no disrespect to Lord Bootlum, you understand, but many in town think he may be going a touch senile. After all, a bugbear controlling the weather!?

“Not that one can blame him. The drought has become terribly severe. In the last few weeks, no fewer than three lakes—LAKES, mind you—have completely dried up! Things have become so bad that the local clerics at the Temple of Heironeous have had to channel all of their powers into creating food and water. Lord Bootlum is understandably desperate to do something! But the people despair believing that he will doing nothing to really help them as long as he is chasing phantom bugbears.

“Myself, I have seen many things come and go over the years. Bootlum may be a little out of touch, but he has never been one to go tilting after windmills. He has always been good to us, and has led our town through many a crisis with a level head. It may even be that he is on to something with his suspicions. If he is, perhaps you can find the bugbear for him. If not—well, perhaps a noble group such as yourselves can convince him of the error of his ways. In any event, Green Glade is in a desperate situation, and the good Lord Bootlum has precious few allies among the townsfolk right now.

“If you fine folks would be agreeable, I would like to send word to Lord Bootlum that a band of adventurers is in town. I’m sure he would meet with you tomorrow to discuss the crisis. Think it over while I prepare your ale and food, such as it is in these times, and perhaps you can give me an answer when I return.”

With that, Graf bows and hurries away. As you turn to face each other, the sun is setting, and the deepening evening fills the baking air with a sense of danger and opportunity.

Krug

Newshound
Belisha looks at her other companions. "Well it is a town in need? We can't let the drought to continue further. Though perhaps there may be other reasons for this shortage...". She turns to Rufus. "Poor doggie look at your tongue hanging out like a towel. You are certainly one to feel the heat," she says. "Hmm.. but before we start our quest a touch more ale..."

Brain

First Post
Slyfen nods, chuckling as Belisha talks to her dog. "Indeed, I would like to see an end to this unnatural heat, and I would very much like to get paid to end it. I think we should meet with this local lord. At the least, he will buy us a meal and some drinks." Slyfen smiles slightly at the thought, then looks around at his companions to see their reactions.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Hardin looks disapprovingly at his elvish companion.

"If for no other reason than to help these townsfolk we should inquire with the local lord as to what we can do."

Galethorn

First Post
Eolan, Human Fighter

Eolan nods.
"Reward or no, these people need help," he says, tearing off a piece of bread. "And, by the looks of it, we're the best suited to give it to them."

Brain

First Post
Slyfen grins, having at least gotten a frown for his efforts. "You know me better than that Hardin, or you should by now. I guess my dry humor takes a while to get used to. I would help these people if they had nothing to give, but since there is a monetary offer, I see no reason why we can't take them up on it."

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Meeting Lord Bootlum

When Graf returns, you tell him that you have decided to meet with Nerius Bootlum.

“Very good, then, friends!”

Graf seems relieved.

“I’ll send word right away. In the mean time, please enjoy the hospitality of the Wyvern’s Claw. Although food and water are scarce, we have made you a fresh mutton stew.”

Three quarters of an hour later, just as you are finishing your excellent repast, Graf returns to your table.

“The messenger has returned from Lord Bootlum’s. He reports that Nerius is very glad to hear that an adventuring party is willing to hear him out. He wishes to meet with you tomorrow morning an hour after dawn. I’ll set up a room in the inn’s private offices.”

After enjoying the hospitality of the inn for the evening, you bathe then retire to your rooms and sleep like you haven’t for weeks.

Day 2

The following morning, you are awakened by Graf at dawn. After an hour he returns for you, and leads the party to an inner chamber in the offices of the inn. When you enter the room, an aging nobleman rises to greet you. Nerius Bootlum’s tall, slim form is draped in a slate gray tunic and cloak of fine cloth. Embroidered on the left breast of his outer garment is the scarlet shield with wyvern's claw and wreath. Although Lord Bootlum is clearly in his sixties, his hair is white only at the temples. His intelligent black eyes are placed above a trim, well-kept beard.

“Well met, noble travelers. I don’t mind telling you that you are a sight for sore eyes. Good Mr. Graf informed me of his conversations with you last night. What he has told you is substantially correct. It is also correct that most in town think I have lost my mind and that Relgore is gone, driven away by the militia I sent after him some months ago. Perhaps you have reached the same conclusion. If so, I will now tell you some things that may change your mind.”

With this, Nerius gestures for you to sit around a small wooden table, and asks Graf to leave the room while he converses with you privately. Once you are all in place, Nerius continues:

“As Graf may have told you, Relgore and his band have been a thorn in our side for many years. Until now, we did not dare move against him directly. We feared that an open confrontation would cost us more in the lives of our young men than it would save us over time. However, Relgore is now in possession of an item of considerable power.

“I am a…collector of unusual items. Several years ago, a curious item came into my hands through some fortuitous investments I made. It is in the form of a natural sponge that looks to be of considerable antiquity. About six months ago I came across reference to a magical sponge in an arcane book which I had recently acquired. Wondering if this was the same sponge I had come into possession of several years ago, I decided to consult with the sage Elwin in the city of Allthrop, about a fortnight away. I took a small fortune in gems with me to exchange for gold and silver pieces while there.

“On my second day of travel, my coach was ambushed by Relgore and his gang. Leaving myself and my coach driver for dead, they made away with both the sponge and the gems. Tragically, my coach driver had been killed, but I lived on. Somehow, I managed to drag myself to the nearby Temple of Heironeous. The clerics there were sympathetic to my plight and restored me to complete health. Worried now at what Relgore might possess, I traveled on to Allthrop. Elwin told me he believed that the lost sponge was indeed more than a curiosity—it was a wondrous item called the eversoaking sponge. While Elwin was not completely sure of the item's powers, he wisely pointed out that any wondrous item can be put to mischievous use.

“Upon hurriedly returning to Green Glade, I dispatched the militia to rid us once and for all of Relgore, who was now more of a threat than ever. Naturally, I didn’t tell anyone about the sponge. An item of power such as that should not fall into the wrong hands, and the militia might have been tempted to keep it for themselves or sell it to the highest bidder had they known of it. In any event, if they successfully killed Relgore, I thought it best if the sponge simply vanished into history.

“Well, the militia returned claiming to have killed half of Relgore’s band and driven the rest off. There was much rejoicing in town, and I confess that I myself also thought that the men had finally rid us of this threat. Indeed, we had no more trouble from Relgore for a time, and this seemed to confirm our hopes.

"However, this summer has been particularly harsh. Rain has not come in six weeks. Our crops fail and our people and animals thirst. Of course, we have known drought before; normally in dry periods, we rely on several small lakes nearby to provide us with the water we need. However, in the past few weeks, at least three of these lakes have completely dried up. It doesn’t take a person of great intellect to put two and two together. After all, lakes don’t dry up overnight of their own accord. The people of Green Glade blame our nature deities, but I am convinced that the culprit is closer to home.

“It is my belief that Relgore still roams these lands with a small contingent of humanoids, and that he is somehow using the sponge to torment us in revenge for our foray against his gang.

“I would be most grateful to you if you would rid us of Relgore and his raiding party. In order to impress upon you urgency of the situation, I am prepared to increase the reward to 2,500 gold pieces for Relgore’s head. In addition, if you return the sponge to me, you are welcome to keep whatever other treasure you may find during the course of this mission.”

It is now about three and a half hours until noon, and already the air swelters.

(OOC: Belisha makes an unsuccessful knowledge (arcane) check to see she knows anything about the eversoaking sponge (DC 25, die result 12 + 7 = 19). Belisha makes a successful knowledge (nature) check, and realizes that the small lakes could not have dried up by purely natural causes in just a few weeks (DC 10, die result 15 + 5 = 20). You all make unsuccessful sense motive checks to get a hunch as to Bootlum’s trustworthiness (DC 20, die results: Slyfen 11 + 0 = 11; Hardin 8 + 2 = 10; Eolan 5 + 0 = 5; Belisha 15 + 0 = 0); this means that you don’t have a strong feeling that Bootlum is being entirely honest, but you also have no reason to mistrust him.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases