D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons cartoon characters on the new starter set and in the D&D movie, does that mean anything?

darjr

I crit!
Well, that’s just streets ahead!

Audiomancer

Adventurer
It’s probably a wink and a nod for longtime fans. Or something the writers stuck in for their own amusement. Similar to how Guardians of the Galaxy had a cameo by Howard the Duck.

Now, if the movie opens and social media blows up with comments from people who want to see the cartoon characters spun off into their own movie… I’m sure Hasbro will be happy to provide.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I wonder now if them being in both means we’ll see more of them. Toys? One of the tv shows?
I think it's more likely it's just the people making the material now are the right age to have fond memories of the D&D cartoon. That could turn into a larger push to do more with the D&D cartoon, as that's how that kind of nostalgia marketing often starts, or it could just stay as little winks and nods when they feel like doing it.

Alternatively it could also be that the dev team knew that the movie folks were going to put a nod to the cartoon in the movie and wanted to play with those toys too. And since the game dev time has a shorter turn around than film dev time they got theirs out first.

Remove ads