E. N. World Gamer Cancelled?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We weren't going to announce it until Mongoose had contacted the subscribers, but yes, the mag got cancelled. Nobody was buying it!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Shame about that.

Weak d20 market and a magazine that competed against Mongoose's own signs & Portents never looked like a good deal in the first place but ymmv.

Verequus

First Post
Being also a subscriber, I have question regarding the law in England, where Mongoose resides: Can a company dictate, what happens with money for a contract, which the company only partially fulfilled? Mongoose would only refund the half of the remaining money, but under German law this is AFAIK illegal. So the question is, if this is legal by British law. Not that I want to sue them - I've used the other option and bought another book, which is interesting - but for the next time, I'll encounter this situation, I want to know, what all my options are.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have no idea, to be honest. If the contract ends prematurely, then a half refund sounds fair to me - otherwise you're getting something for nothing.

I'd assume that Mongoose knows what it's doing, legally.

I'm suprised to hear that there are countries which would handle that in a different way. What if, for example, the situation was reversed? Of you had paid short by a few pennies for some reason (by mistake, for example); would you think it OK if, as you had only partially fulfilled the contract, they got to keep your money and deliver you nothing? Because that's what you're asking them to do - you get to keep their magazine and you pay them nothing.

In the latter case, what any company would do would be to require you to come up with the missing amount of money. If you couldn't do that for any reason, they wouldn't be able to just keep the money you'd sent them and ask for the mags back. Similarly, since they can't come up witht he missing magazines, you can't just keep what they've given you and ask for your money back. You can get back the cost of the mags you didn't receive, though.

In fact, take it further - what if it was a year sub to Dragon and, for some reason, Paizo couldn't deliver the final (12th) issue it owed you. Would you feel you should have all your money back AND the 11 magazines? Or that they recompensed you for the mag you didn't get?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
RuleMaster said:
I've used the other option and bought another book, which is interesting

They're discontinuing EN World's magazine but trying to get the subscribers EN World directed to them to buy another product with that money? Hmmm.... interesting. Something to bear in mind for the future.

Verequus

First Post
Morrus said:
I have no idea, to be honest. If the contract ends prematurely, then a half refund sounds fair to me - otherwise you're getting something for nothing.

I'd assume that Mongoose knows what it's doing, legally.

I'm suprised to hear that there are countries which would handle that in a different way. What if, for example, the situation was reversed? Of you had paid short by a few pennies for some reason (by mistake, for example); would you think it OK if, as you had only partially fulfilled the contract, they got to keep your money and deliver you nothing? Because that's what you're asking them to do - you get to keep their magazine and you pay them nothing.

In the latter case, what any company would do would be to require you to come up with the missing amount of money. If you couldn't do that for any reason, they wouldn't be able to just keep the money you'd sent them and ask for the mags back. Similarly, since they can't come up witht he missing magazines, you can't just keep what they've given you and ask for your money back. You can get back the cost of the mags you didn't receive, though.

In fact, take it further - what if it was a year sub to Dragon and, for some reason, Paizo couldn't deliver the final (12th) issue it owed you. Would you feel you should have all your money back AND the 11 magazines? Or that they recompensed you for the mag you didn't get?

No, you misunderstood me: In the case of a refund, I don't want the money back for the magazines - and their shipment costs - which I received, but for the ones, which I don't have received. In the case of the EN Gamer, it would be for 4 magazines, not the six per year. In Germany, I could receive the total of the remaining money next to the option to buy books from it, not that I can have only the half of the remaining money in cash back - the latter would be illegal by German law. Is it by British law, too?

Remove ads