D&D 1E (End of 1e/transition to 2e period) Greyhawk Adventures, reaction rolls and a rule that didn't make it into 2e... but wasn't in 1e, either

the Jester

Legend
I've got a question for anyone who saw the stuff that became 2e while it was in development. I have no idea if anyone here is that person or can point to who it might be. Anyhow, here goes.

The Greyhawk Adventures hardcover came out at the very end of 1e, and was marked "compatible with 2nd Edition". There were some new monsters in it using a new stat block format that was almost the one used in 2e, but not quite.

One thing included in those stat blocks was "Reaction Modifier", which would be a numeric modifier (+2, -3, etc). In the opening section of that chapter, it says:

Greyhawk Adventures said:
Three of the headings in the monster listings below may be unfamiliar to experienced AD&D game players:

Reaction Modifier is a guide for DMs in determining a creature's initial reaction. Roll 2d10 and add (or, in some cases, subtract) the Reaction Modifier. The higher the number, the less aggressive the creature will be. A low roll means the creature acts more aggressively.

This, obviously, was dropped before the Monstrous Compendiums and DMG for 2e started coming out, but has anyone ever seen whatever chart would have elaborated this system? I have always been curious.

Stormonu

Legend
Very interesting. I made a quick scan of Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guide, Oriental Adventures and Dragonlance Adventures and couldn't find a reference or chart that might match.

My next guess, is that if it exists, it may be somewhere in Dragon - perhaps in a review of the book or in Sage's Advice.
[MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] - any ideas on this?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Very interesting. I made a quick scan of Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guide, Oriental Adventures and Dragonlance Adventures and couldn't find a reference or chart that might match.

My next guess, is that if it exists, it may be somewhere in Dragon - perhaps in a review of the book or in Sage's Advice.
[MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] - any ideas on this?
I strongly suspect the relevant table is just Table 59 in the 2nd Edition DMG. (That's on page 103 of the original 2e DMG, or page 140 of the black cover/reprint version.)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In AD&D, after the initial interaction with a monster, a Reaction roll would be made (%) with adjustments due to the charisma of the party leader. (Reaction Roll Adjustment). A low result meant a hostile result, a high roll meant the creature was friendly. This became a 2d10 table in 2E, and it sounds like this would have been an additional modifier to the roll.

Cheers!

Stormonu

Legend
I strongly suspect the relevant table is just Table 59 in the 2nd Edition DMG. (That's on page 103 of the original 2e DMG, or page 140 of the black cover/reprint version.)

Gah, I missed that - and I was looking through the 2E book for such a table. Thanks, Echohawk.

Remove ads