Energy Weapons Houserules

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Okay so for any player of the classic Future or variants like in Pathfinder you get Energy Weapons accessible for the players.

This will be a place to compile my thoughts of a wandering mind on the subject and does anyone have Houserules regarding Energy weapons.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Laser Weapons

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Future_Equipment#Laser_Weapons gives the player the standard three models for players use but my thoughts were as follows.

1: Allow the addition of one d6 dice to denote the fire/heat damage upon a successful hit on the target.
2: What are your thoughts on modifications ala Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4
3: Does laser coloration make a difference?
4: Up-scaling the weapon damage for large crew served emplacements... thoughts?

The http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Spartan_Laser_(D20_Modern_Equipment) is meant for anti-vehicle targets. But is it too powerful

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
1) Adding additional die for energy weapons might not be the route to go.. maybe adding stuff like conditions/modifiers.. get hit by a laser, quick burn.. get hit by a plasma weapon, going to burn more, or not a nice clean burn, make them save Fort vs pain of the hit, and pain causes penalties to attack, skills. Or can have plasma weapons have knock down feature (as plasma generally has more mass and kinetic energy over photons of a laser), then the target has to spend time getting back up if they are knocked down.
2) not sure what all modifications Fallout games have..
3a) colourization.. generally not really.. would be neat signature for specific weapons, or a way of identifying friendly/enemy fire in the dark if everyone on the same team uses lasers tuned to a specific colour. HOWEVER.. certain frequencies do affect colour.. laser firing in IR would be more.. red? And UV frequencies more purple. I have Green-Blue lasers which are a green-blue colour and operate underwater better than regular lasers, so that's where colour could be a factor.
3b) For my upscaling.. I have rules for upscaling weapons, or crew served/vehicle weapons, some are just increasing damage by a die or two, or adding ignoring dr/hardness. Check my thread for it as I can't remember what page it's on off hand.

kronos182

Adventurer
@Celebrim found the old forum posts here on EN World and the links were still working... snagged copies
@kronos182 heres the link for New Vegas Weapon Mods http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_weapon_mods In FO4 the reworked the whole shebang http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_weapon_mods allowing for you to build said mods from wasteland scrap

After a quick glance, some of the mods in the New Vegas and Fallout 4 mods already exist in RAW... extended barrels, magazines, weight reduction, etc (but you can give it the names from the fallout games to make it sound more unique). I'm not sure what the Improved Condition is... is that something like improving its durability? It's quality (like masterwork?) ??
Things like decreased spread don't apply much to d20 modern.. although I think Weapon's Locker had something about that for shotguns.. maybe a small bonus to damage or reduce the range penalty for how shoguns lose damage over distance. I gotta find my copy to double check. For weapons like machineguns, miniguns, etc.. decreasing spread could increase the Reflex save DC maybe.
Increase speed.. well there isn't anything you can use that for.. except like.. if the projectile/discharge speed is increased (there's a few mentions of this type of speed increase specifically) could give a slight bonus to attack rolls (faster projectile is harder to dodge), it could increase range increment.. or reduce range penalties slightly as the bullet is travelling faster and thus a little more accurate longer.

Now.. the Fallout 4 energy weapon mods.. there's a few things there are are new and can be stated out. While some of the modifiers exist already (improved damage, range, ammo, critical) a few are a bit interesting and can expand what RAW has.

Overall.. most of it is just new names to give the weapon gadgets in the books that are a little more specific to a type of weapon, but a few new/neat ideas none the less. Will have to read more into them.

Remove ads