D&D 5E Epic Monsters: Lucifer (1 of 3), Falling Angel

Today’s entry in Epic Monsters isn’t the most epic yet, but it’s on its way there: a portrait of modern religion’s greatest villain as he plummets from the heavens, that dastardly falling angel Lucifer! This is the first if three increasingly powerful builds: Falling, Fallen, and Lord of Hell.

Today’s entry in Epic Monsters isn’t the most epic yet, but it’s on its way there: a portrait of modern religion’s greatest villain as he plummets from the heavens, that dastardly falling angel Lucifer! This is the first if three increasingly powerful builds: Falling, Fallen, and Lord of Hell.

lucifer falling angel DnD 5e BANNER.jpg

First off the bat: Lucifer happens to also be what the Greeks called the planet Venus (well, Phosphoros, but that’s basically the same thing). Just want to toss that out there because usually this is where I’d talk about the character as he appears in the Bible because that’s the biggun, but I’m not as familiar with the scripture as I was when my folks left the church (over two decades ago?) and frankly we all know the basics here: this was one of Heaven’s golden boys until he turned on the celestial host and was cast out to suffer in (and lord over) Hell.

More importantly though Morrus requested Lucifer and the archangel Michael, but looking at the angels and fiends in the core rules the designers pretty adequately covered that ground. They’ve got a whole book of master of hell statblocks (also EN5ider has plenty of celestial/fiend goodies). I positively hate to disappoint however so instead we’re going to do a three-parter that considers stages of corruption, the first of which is the falling angel (today’s entry) with the next being the fallen angel (in 2 weeks), and then finally the devil at the height of his power. Or treat them as Lucifer, Satan, and Beelzebub. I legitimately cannot keep track of all the deviations christianity takes with this guy—it’s pretty ridiculous. Seminarians please chime in.

Design Notes: Since this is a falling angel it makes sense to start with one. I went with the deva because when he was cast out Lucifer was fairly high up in the hierarchy. I figure the commander of the angels Michael is a planetar or solar—whatever the archangel is, during the War of Heaven he’s bigger than a CR 12. With that in mind the Angelic Weapons trait has changed to necrotic and been upped a bit, the suite of innate spells have been altered to start falling in line with the evil bewitching trickster he’s to become, tacked on a little shadow love, improved Change Shape, and most importantly introduced some life-draining attacks. With critical hits from the greatsword and Soulsucking Touch (which would be brutal for a lone warrior or someone held captive) Lucifer here can force himself some converts.

Let’s do the numbers! The DMG chart lands Lucifer I/Falling Angel at a solid 11 (9prof+10ac+15hp+11atk+10dam+11save=66/6) but the very excellent Monster Manual numbers-derived Blog of Holding rubric slotted him up at a 13.166667 (15ac+19hp+8atk+13dam+12dc+12save=79/6) so he averages at 12. For a ‘starting journey’ Satan that feels about right to me. For a CR 14 version, increase this statblock’s AC to 19 and increase saving throws, skills, attack bonuses, and DCs by +1.

Lucifer I (Falling Angel)
Medium celestial (falling angel), neutral evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 190 (20d8+100)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
18 (+4)​
18 (+4)​
21 (+5)​
17 (+3)​
20 (+5)​
21 (+5)​
Saving Throws Wis +9, Cha +9
Skills Insight +9, Perception +9, Persuasion +9, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances fire, radiant; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)

Corrupted Weapons. Lucifer’s weapon attacks are magical. When he hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 4d10 necrotic damage (included in the attack).

Innate Spellcasting. Lucifer's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). He can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
At will: charm person, chill touch, detect evil and good, detect magic, invisibility, produce flame, suggestion
3/day each: bestow curse, charm monster, hellish rebuke, vampiric touch
1/day each: death ward, dominate monster, finger of death

Magic Resistance. Lucifer has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, Lucifer can take the Hide action as a bonus action.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. Lucifer makes two melee attacks, or he uses Soulsucking Touch and makes one melee attack.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) bludgeoning damage plus 22 (4d10) necrotic damage. On a critical hit, the target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, and Lucifer regains hit points equal to that amount. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 1 or its level) rises from the corpse 1d4 minutes later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new falling angel rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.

Soulsucking Touch. Lucifer reaches out at a creature within 50 feet that he can see, drawing away its life force. The target makes a DC 17 Charisma saving throw or reduces its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores by 1d4 (roll separately for each). The target dies if this reduces an ability score to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest. If a humanoid is slain in this way, a fiend (with a CR equal to its CR + 1 or its level) rises from the corpse 1d4 minutes later. If a deva, planetar, or solar is slain in this way, a new falling angel rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.

Change Shape. Lucifer magically polymorphs into a beast, humanoid, or monstrosity that has a challenge rating equal to or less than his own, or back into his true form. He reverts to his true form if he dies. Any equipment he is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (his choice).
In a new form, Lucifer retains his game statistics and ability to speak, but his AC, movement modes, Strength, Dexterity, and special senses are replaced by those of the new form, and he gains any statistics and capabilities (except class features, legendary actions, and lair actions) that the new form has but that he lacks.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Anselyn

Explorer
I think I did! That image isn't in the article. Did you read the edited version? The 1 is meant to be the explanation? Or hint?

BTW. If he's falling, he's going to die when he hits the ground if it's more that 640 feet from Heaven to Earth if he only has resistance to bludgeoning damage.

dave2008

Legend
Thanks again Mike! An interesting entry and I like the 3-parts (even if I don't agree with how the end up - I'm guessing). I am not Seminarian, but my understanding is that the general understanding is that Lucifier, Satan, whatever you want to call it was second only to God in might (I believe that is one reason Melkor has the same position in LotR). And he gets weaker as he gets more corrupted. So I would have Lucifer (falling angel) as the most powerful and the lord of hell version as the weakest.

EDIT: Have you read the Lucifer series of comics from DC. I would love to see that version of the character.

Remove ads

Remove ads