Epic Sized CAMPAIGN COINS Coming To Your Treasure Hoard

I love Campaign Coins. I have a bunch of them, which I've bolstered with several thousand gold, plastic, and copper coloured plastic coins from random toy stores; the metal Campaign Coins, though, stand out. In past campaigns, I've used a rule of "if you don't have it, you don't have it" for treasure and money, and transactions literally involved the physical exchange of coins for a helaing potion card, or what-have-you. Campaign Coins has a new Kickstarter for huge Epic Treasure Coins, 28-35mm (35mm is about 1 and a half inches) in diameter, each representing 500, 5,000, and 10,000 copper, silver, gold, or platinum.

I love Campaign Coins. I have a bunch of them, which I've bolstered with several thousand gold, plastic, and copper coloured plastic coins from random toy stores; the metal Campaign Coins, though, stand out. In past campaigns, I've used a rule of "if you don't have it, you don't have it" for treasure and money, and transactions literally involved the physical exchange of coins for a helaing potion card, or what-have-you. Campaign Coins has a new Kickstarter for huge Epic Treasure Coins, 28-35mm (35mm is about 1 and a half inches) in diameter, each representing 500, 5,000, and 10,000 copper, silver, gold, or platinum.

copper.jpg
gold.jpg
silver.jpg

You can find the Kickstarter here. Note that they're based in Australia, so those $ signs mean Australian dollars, not US dollars. That means the prices are lower than they look at first glance as $40 AUD is about $30 USD. However, although they're in the land down under, orders from Europe will be fulfilled from the EU, and those from Canada and the US will be fulfilled from America, so international shipping charges shouldn't bite too hard.

6e6ae2de3f3384ea69735ecc92396758_original.jpg

pdmiller

Explorer
I have a lot of these coins, due to an addiction to collecting them. If you are starting a new campaign, you don't need a whole lot, and you can gradually add to the collection as the party levels up. They really are brilliant, but yeah not super cheap.

paleblade

Explorer
Thanks for the info Morrus! Missed their last KS but pledged for 4 starters. This will really help my kids get into the game more.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I wonder how this really aids running a game. I use coins all of the time in a LARP, but for table top it seems like this would cause a drag. Physreps are vital in a LARP, but I dont see what good they would do in a TTRPG.

Janx

Hero
It sorta seems like it brings in an aspect of LARPING (the tactile nature of handling some props) to regular RPG.

For one campaign I ran, used cards for everything piece of inventory. Money was the one thing we abstracted down to some numbers on the money pouch card. With this, the money pouch is a real thing as are the coins.

If you have a fair bit of trade/money exchanging going on, I can see it working out. If money isn't a topic that comes up much (and some campaigns I've been in where I spent money like 3 times over 20 levels), then it's not a value add.

Personally, I like the "if you don't have it.." rule, but the logistics of creating props (which I like to do) or cards for everything the PCs might pick up is a drag.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
My group used these for a short time. The DM would have bought more except overall they were just too expensive for the benefit they gave us. But I do admit it was kinda fun using them and actually handing them in when we bought things and getting change back made for a nice experience.

The main thing I noticed was this: but it wasn't very long before we found the copper coins to be absolutely useless, like level 2. And even silver became pretty much useless a level or 2 later. They should have removed copper, had only a small amount of silver and added more gold and platinum. We kept running out of higher level currency and in the end when the coins weren't enough had to switch away from the coins. I think if my DM decided to continue buying this, a few of the Castle Sets would be exactly what we would need to round everything out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My group used these for a short time. The DM would have bought more except overall they were just too expensive for the benefit they gave us. But I do admit it was kinda fun using them and actually handing them in when we bought things and getting change back made for a nice experience.

The main thing I noticed was this: but it wasn't very long before we found the copper coins to be absolutely useless, like level 2. And even silver became pretty much useless a level or 2 later. They should have removed copper, had only a small amount of silver and added more gold and platinum. We kept running out of higher level currency and in the end when the coins weren't enough had to switch away from the coins. I think if my DM decided to continue buying this, a few of the Castle Sets would be exactly what we would need to round everything out.

Just say the coppers are gold and the silvers are platinum. Maybe they're just slightly more worn or something.

Mark Morrison

First Post
Thanks Morrus, and hello everyone!

I've been using coins for my D&D game since 2011, and liked them so much I started helping Andre run the company, and now I'm a full partner. I love the cha-ching.

We recently put together a PDF with suggestions on how to use coins in RPGs, it's a free download:
http://campaigncoins.com/free-resources/

If anyone has any questions about the coins or the campaign, fire away!

Cheers,

Mark

Campaign Coins
http://campaigncoins.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads