D&D 5E Even if you like D&D Next, are you buying it, and how soon?

When will you actually be purchasing D&D Next?

• Immediately upon release, hands down, no questions asked.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Not immediately, but probably within the first 90 days of release.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Sometime after our current campaign finishes up (3-9 months)

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I'm sure I'll get around to it (9 months +)

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • It ain't happening. Don't want it, don't need it, already have more than enough "D&D."

Votes: 32 20.9%

innerdude

Legend
Here's my dilemma: overall, I like much of D&D Next. Skill dice, expertise, advantage / disadvantage, are all interesting mechanics, that have potential for making an interesting game. I'm still not wild about the short/extended rest (i.e., pseudo healing surge), but it's not a total deal breaker for me.

All that said, however, I flat out can't say for certain whether I'm even buying the system. I think about all of the other things the ~$120 I might spend on 5e core rulebooks could get me, even if it were spent elsewhere on my RPG hobby. That's a lot of map packs . . . or flip mats . . . or minis . . . or campaign supplements for my existing systems (Fantasy Craft magic supplement whenever it's relased; the next One Ring boxed set).

Heck, that's even a couple of full-price, A-list video games on Steam . . . three or four new pairs of pants . . . a really great day of skiing at a local resort . . . three rounds of golf.

I'm sure this is not news to many of you, but it begs the question--even if you like what you see from D&D-N, is it enough to push you to immediate adoption?

Obviously the situation might change in a year+ when the system is finally released . . . but if D&DN was released tomorrow, I can't say that I'd be purchasing it anytime soon.

S

Sunseeker

After I play it a few times. And I don't just mean playtesting. Some basic games, some standard games, some advanced games.
After the initial hullbaloo blows over.
After about 6 months to a year.
After my LGS decides to get the stick out of his butt and support WOTC RPGs again.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm probably going to wait a few months to see first what is the amount of errata, and if there is hope to get a second print with most of it fixed.

delericho

Legend
It depends on three things:

- How they package it up - is the boxed set the only offering on Day One, is the "standard game" also available, what adventures, etc...

- The price.

- The initial reviews.

The most likely scenario is that I'll wait for a few weeks, read how it is received here, and then buy the boxed set (and the "standard game" if that's also available) provided the reviews are decent.

If the price is very low, I may skip the reviews and buy immediately. Conversely, if the reviews cause me to doubt, I'll wait until other members of our group have bought it, and make sure I play a few times before taking the plunge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So far, I have bought "the core" of every edition since 1977. I will probably do likewise for 5Ed, but it won't be high priority.

It has nothing to do with 5Ed itself, though I'm 50/50 on what I've seen so far, it is because:

1) I have other priorities

2) we have a decent 4Ed game being run by one guy in our group

3$ my preferred edition is 3.5Ed, and we have a campaign on hiatus while the 4Ed game is going on.

So unless 5Ed is utterly fantastic, it will be bought when I get around to it.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
It depends on three things:

- How they package it up - is the boxed set the only offering on Day One, is the "standard game" also available, what adventures, etc...

- The price.

- The initial reviews.

The most likely scenario is that I'll wait for a few weeks, read how it is received here, and then buy the boxed set (and the "standard game" if that's also available) provided the reviews are decent.

If the price is very low, I may skip the reviews and buy immediately. Conversely, if the reviews cause me to doubt, I'll wait until other members of our group have bought it, and make sure I play a few times before taking the plunge.

This pretty much reflects my situation. One important additional point, though, is the question whether I will have one of thoses phases of "Hell, I need some new RPG!" or "I really want to start a new campaign".

If either one of these conditions is true, I'll buy it on day 1. In all other cases I'll wait and relax, looking at the roll-out in the first months.

But I'll buy it anyway at some point in time. You just can't be a serious roleplaye if you don't know all editions of D&D! ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I can't answer the poll because I don't know if I'm buying it yet (though likely not).

I'm really not interested in yet another new system for fantasy role playing (what I already own is plenty), so the only way I can see me buying it is if I play in a game with it that's run by someone else.

Now, if they go the route of posting all the rules for free online (ala 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder), then I'll certainly check them out for curiosity's sake.

Obryn

Hero
I'll be buying the core even though I'm not a big fan so far. I'm sick of this extended playtest, and I want to see what the finished product is like. If it captures my interest, I'll be in for more. But it will have to compete with the recent "kickstarter renaissance" thing we have going now, and it's not the only game in town.

-O

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases