FAQ Update -- Tenser's Floating Disk

dcollins

Explorer
The Official 3.5 FAQ was updated recently. Among the items added is this often-argued issue, which needs to get reiterated with every edition of D&D:

Can you ride your own Tenser’s floating disk?

No. While you could command your Tenser’s floating disk
to move close enough for you to sit upon it, it has no ability to
move under its own power. It can only follow you at a
maximum rate equal to your normal speed.

I look forward to revisiting this again in 4th Edition. :)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Sigh...

Sooooo true.

And yet, it remains a favored 'house rule' of sorts, as you hear about it routinely.

Whimsical

Explorer
Our DM was surprised how effective the elocator's class ablility to walk a foot above any surface has been. He has been able to glide over covered pit traps and other trap triggers and take no movement penalties for rough or dangerous terrain.

I used to have a gnomish rogue/illusionist have all of the party members sit on his Tenser's floating disk, then he would cast invisibility sphere over everyone, cast fly then glide into any area or complex that he wanted to stealthfully cross but have his entire backup crew right behind him in case things went bad. Since his companions weren't moving themselves, they made no noise. It was fun. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
IndyPendant said:
I love the idea of a surfing disk!

...I'd never, ever allow it in my own campaigns, but I love the idea!
Use levitate. I've had a character levisurf before.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
dcollins said:
The Official 3.5 FAQ was updated recently. Among the items added is this often-argued issue, which needs to get reiterated with every edition of D&D:

I look forward to revisiting this again in 4th Edition. :)

So, if it has no ability to move under it's own power, does the weight on it count against the weight limit of the user?

Remove ads