Focused Attack Option (House Rule)

This is a new house rule I've thought up and am looking for opinions.

Normally, as a full attack action you can make additional attacks based on your Base Attack Bonus (BAB). For every 5 points of your BAB you get an extra attack at a -5 penalty. So a +11 BAB gives a primary attack at +11, a secondary attack at +6, and a tertiary attack at +1. All your normal modifiers then get applied to your BAB to give your final attack modifiers.

I'm calling the house rule "Focused Attack" which, as a full attack action, allows you to give up your additional attacks for a +2.5 bonus to hit and +2.5 damage (rounded down) to your primary attack for every additional attack you give up. So someone who normally has 3 attacks per round could give up the second two attacks to gain a +5 bonus to hit and +5 damage on the primary attack. If using this option, you must give up all your additional attacks (i.e., you can't keep two attacks and give up two attacks; it's all additional attacks given up or none).

The purpose of this is really to speed up combat but it also gives you an added attack/damage boost if you need it against a particular opponent that is hard to hit/damage.

The action is entirely optional so you can choose to keep on making additional attacks if you prefer.

Statistically I'd imagine it's still better to make the actual additional attacks but this is a quick and dirty attempt to speed up combat for those who want to.

slwoyach

First Post
I've done something similar in the past. I dropped iterative attacks completely and gave a +1 to the crit range of all weapons wielded for every attack lost.

I'd avoid fractions for aesthetic reasons.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest any character can make a single attack as a full round action which gains a +4 bonus to hit for each iterative attack which the character gives up.

Characters with PA have the option of further tweaking the hit/damage ratios.

Remove ads