Ford vs. Ferrari (Le Mans '66)

GreyLord

Legend
I watched this movie recently and though it's not a Fantasy nor D&D movie, this IS an AWESOME movie. If you love cars and car racing...you'll love this movie. If you don't love cars and car racing, but enjoy a movie about guys being guys...you'll love this movie. If you don't really care for all that but enjoy movies with character development...I think you might love this movie

Bale is TERRIFIC as is Matt Damon. I am completely amazed at how much Bale changes between each role he plays and how he can completely be different from film to film. Someone (if not multiple someone's) should get an Oscar for this film. That's how good I thought many of the elements were.

Unfortunately, the interest I'm seeing about it doesn't seem all that huge at this point, but this is my word of mouth that the movie is, hands down, perhaps one of the BEST movies I've seen this year.

On that note, if this movie does not do well, I find it disappointing sometimes that the best movies out there at times are not known or seen by the audiences that are moviegoers of the time. It takes years sometimes for these types of masterpieces to get the acclaim they should have at the time. I hope that isn't what happens with this film, but it seems it may from what I've heard about what is happening this weekend.

If it doesn't do well, I predict this will be another one of those great films people look back at later and say...that was a GREAT film...what were they thinking.

Celebrim

Legend
I definitely want to see it, and yes all the talk is that this is one of the best films of the year, but I don't really have anyone to see it with, so it's going to be a wait for video for me.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
If it doesn't do well, I predict this will be another one of those great films people look back at later and say...that was a GREAT film...what were they thinking.

I enjoy racing movies. How do the race scenes compare to say Days of Thunder? I'm assuming outright the acting is better.

GreyLord

Legend
I enjoy racing movies. How do the race scenes compare to say Days of Thunder? I'm assuming outright the acting is better.

The racing scenes are well done, but are not as much of the focus of the movie (in my opinion) as it is in Days of Thunder. It is more about the relationship between Colby, Miles, and Ford with their own development over time (Colby as being more able to negotiate the dynamics between corporations and personal convictions, Miles between desires of self and being a team player and the Ford corporation being the cocktail in the mix). It uses the development of the GT40 as the vehicle to push the film, with the race as the end goal overall.

The race is a focus of the end goal they all have, and there is quite a bit of racing but the focus is otherwise.

The racing scenes themselves have just as much hollywoodizing as Days of Thunder does, but it does bring out many of the historical items that occurred during the race as well as factors they needed to consider (though there are one or two scenes I'm pretty sure they hollywoodized completely...as in...it didn't happen the way they portrayed). In addition, they do show some scenes I think directly from the Race, though you see it from a Black and White screen others are watching.

A fan of racing movies should be satiated as I feel it hews closer to the feel of a race than Days of Thunder at points, but not as much as the 1971 film Le Mans.

Remove ads