Forked Thread: Old PC games you wish you could play again

Forked from: Masters of Magic

One game I'd really like to play Civ2 again because I don't like Civ3 or Civ4. Another is Descent, the 3-D "There is no up" flying shooter. I loved that one. I'd add X-Com (in fact it would be at the top of my list) but that came available on Steam. Woot! I've also been thinking about Panzer General for some odd reason. Odd, because I sucked at it and didn't play it much.

Merkuri

Explorer
Planescape: Torment.

I really really wanted to install this on my laptop (which I only use when I travel), thinking it would be a resource-lite game that I'd be able to play, only to find out it wasn't compatible with XP.

Oh, and check out this site for old games that have been updated to run on the latest computers and sold online for cheap.

GOG.com

They have Descent 1+2 for about $6.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... I actually tried to play the old gold box game Pool of Radiance again (since I'm DMing it as a PbP campaign), but it's really not bearable. I'm spoiled! :lol:

Bye
Thanee

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Planscape works just fine in XP. I don't even remember having to tweak anything to get it to install.

The graphics don't look so hot by todays standards, however.

DS

Merkuri

Explorer
Hmm, maybe I'll give it another try, then. Part of my problem may be that I don't have a CD drive in the laptop (it's a tablet), though I seem to recall that it gave me a message basically saying that my operating system was too new.

I'm not concerned about the graphics. The laptop doesn't have a spectacular graphics chip, which is why I'm always trying to put older games on it - especially games that are purely mouse-driven. It's pretty entertaining to play Civ3 with a stylus. :)

Jasperak

Adventurer
Hmm... I actually tried to play the old gold box game Pool of Radiance again (since I'm DMing it as a PbP campaign), but it's really not bearable. I'm spoiled! :lol:

Bye
Thanee

What? :D

I've been playing Pool of Radiance since my friend had a C64. I have Teledisk versions of Wizardry 1 and 5 that I play on both my XP machine and c. 1994 DOS laptop. EDIT: Both of these are the quintessential D&D games for the computer. I should also fire up some Might and Magic 2.

One of these years I will figure out if it is better to [TALK] or [ATTACK] Ohlo in the slums :p

Check out my shades, they're black :cool:

EDIT: I spent last night playing Master of Orion on my DOS desktop. When will I learn to not pick fights I cannot win. :(

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Definitely X-com! It's a real shame that the sequels were never quite as good as the original. Hell, not even games trying to BE like X-com could pull it off years later.

I would like to play Icewind Dale 2 again, i loved that game to pieces.

I never even got the chance to play Fallout 1 or 2, but i'm really liking Fallout 3 on my xbox.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Another vote for Planescape:Torment. It blew me away when I played it a few years back.

I bought the old collection of TSR video games that came out a few years back. There were some real stinkers in that collection, and it was tough to get a lot of them to run in DOS. It made me glad for the progress computer game have made over the last decade or two.

Megaton

First Post
I was just thinking about this topic this morning actually because I've been searching for a copy of TIE fighter for a while now and I've been unable to find one. I'm looking over ebay and amazon but I'm being real cheap about it and I don't want to shell out more than $10 for it.

It's worth it, but it's so old that I'm thinking I shouldn't have to pay that much.

Remove ads