From the creator of The Booklet of Infinite Horrors comes a new way to take on the battlefield in D&D 5e: The Commander Class!

Acr0ssTh3P0nd

First Post
Hey, up, everyone! It’s me, George Sutherland Howard. You might know me as the chap who wrote such lovely and wholesome D&D things as The Booklet of Infinite Horrors, Deadworlds, and Children of Dust. Yep. Definitely family-friendly stuff.

Anyway, I’m stopping by to let you buncha nerds know about a new class I just put up on the DM’s Guild: The Commander. A class of tactics and combat leadership in 5th Edition, the Commander is great at representing mercenary captains, raid leaders, military officers, and other such “martial coordinators”. It has been designed especially for those players who loved the play experience of D&D 4th Edition Warlord and have yet to find a way to fully scratch that itch in 5th Edition. The Commander accomplishes this through a combination of broader class features such as Improved Aid (the go-to “at-will” feature, which makes the Help action reliably and consistently useful) and Coordination Dice (which draws from the fantastic experience of Bardic Inspiration Dice and adds in useful tidbits like “make a free attack as a reaction” and “Dash, Disengage, or Help as a bonus action”), and more specialized subclasses such as the Raid Master and Protector.

Unlike other 5th Edition options, this class allows players to build an entire character simply around being a martial coordinator. It is not intended to replace the Valor Bard, Mastermind rogue, or Battlemaster fighter – after all, those characters have access to many distinct features that the Commander does not – but simply provides a more focused, cohesive approach to all the themes that those subclasses each individually touch upon. If you felt that those character options were great but simply weren’t Warlord-y enough, then the Commander is the class for you.

Oh, and it’s Pay-What-You-Want through to the end of Wednesday, July 11th.

If you have any requests, concerns, or other feedback, feel free to leave it in the comments, and I’ll try to respond to it ASAP. As with all my stuff, you can expect a butt-tonne of post-launch support and additions, so stay tuned!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases