D&D 5E Full Wraparound Cover Art For Ravenloft

We've seen the cover already, but here's a look at the full wraparound art by Anna Podedworna.

We've seen the cover already, but here's a look at the full wraparound art by Anna Podedworna.

wrap_cover.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Is it just me, or does it look like Van Richten is looking to the left of Strahd, and the lady (Esmeralda?) is looking over Van Richten's head? Something's not right with the perspective and angles here.

Agree, it's a little wonky. I think the idea is Strahd has surprised them and they are in the process of turning to face him, but that movement is not obvious so it looks completely off.

Laurefindel

Legend
Is it just me, or does it look like Van Richten is looking to the left of Strahd, and the lady (Esmeralda?) is looking over Van Richten's head? Something's not right with the perspective and angles here.
It's hard to tell in a still picture like that, but Strahd is actually under a blink spell and pops in and out all over the place. Van Richten is looking where he was seconds ago, and Esmeralda anticipated his return but guessed wrong. Happens to the best of us...

Either that or the artist didn't feel like just painting the back of a grey head and the back of a curly head...

Last edited:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
If they were looking AT Strahd, it would just be the backs of their heads, which would read as "Strahd Squares Off Against Two Randos."

The artist wanted to make sure Strahd was on the front cover but also have the castle in the art. So the head positioning is due to wanting characters and setting to be recognizable and present.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
To me it looks like they were looking at Castle Ravenloft when Strahd pops up out of no where and they are instinctively following the flight of the crows off to the left.

I've like every single standard cover over the alternate covers. I'll have to order the standard one special since my LFG always orders in the alternates as long as they are able to.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Either that or the artist didn't feel like just painting the back of a grey head and the back of a curly head...
Pretty much this. I think it's just artistic licence to give more exposure to the characters' faces than just the backs of their heads.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My impression:
I think they are looking at the crows that are swirling around them, while Strahd observes them from above via a scrying spell. Strahd's not really there; he's just pulling strings from afar (as usual).

Remove ads

Remove ads