Fun ways to play a druid?

Velenne

Explorer
Last night my halfling druid got to 3rd level. Looking at his spell list, I couldn't help but feel uninspired at the totally iconic (but practical) spell selection: Magic Stone, Shillelagh, Entangle, Barkskin, Cat's Grace. I thought to myself, "There must be something more to druid life than this!"

Enter ENWorld!

My halfling calls a swamp his home and has a soft spot for reptiles. His companion is currently a viper but later on will be upgraded to things he can ride: Alligator, Deyonichus (sp?), Megaraptor, T-Rex. :D

3rd level feat was mounted combat. I imagine him delivering touch spells from the back of his buddy. Later, he'll wild shape into an assassin vine with Natural Spell and enter combat full-on with his megaraptor!

Anyone have any tips for making this work? Or other ideas for playing a druid?

Magic Slim

First Post
Velenne said:

3rd level feat was mounted combat. I imagine him delivering touch spells from the back of his buddy. Later, he'll wild shape into an assassin vine with Natural Spell and enter combat full-on with his megaraptor!

Produce flame, baby!

What are the other members of the party? The druid is usually a "supporting actor" of some sort, and by reading your post, I got the impression that there aren't too many fighter-types in your party (or that the campaign you're involved in is combat-heavy).

If you need allies, the Summon Nature's Ally spells can be good, especially if you can afford the "Augment Summoning" feat.

Of course, the main force of the druid is his Wild Shape ability, and his Animal companions. That's why Druids are more fun to play starting at level 5 :)

MS (not to be confused with Moldy Sickness)

ForceUser

Explorer
What you see is what you get with a low-level druid. For you, the paradigm shifts at 5th level. From then on, wild shape is your greatest friend because it offers flexibility and power.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I've always hated the tree-hugger aspect of druids. However, with the number of evocation spells they get and their shapeshifting abilties, the druid class represents a lot of fantasy wizards and witches better than the wizard class. I've thought it would be fun to play a Hedge Wizard type character with the druid class.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Consider Briar Web -- it's an entangle that does moderate damage (from throns and such). Adrenaline Surge is potentially good if you do much Nature's Ally stuff. Decomposition is also useful, too.

Also, for later, consider Bear's HEart -- a party-wide buff that should be considered a superior chocie to Mass Bull's Strength (you get the strength, and you get 1d4 temp hp per caster level ... but take the druid's caster level in subdual, afterwards; one target per level, no less).

All of those are in Masters of the Wild. I strongly suggest you pick it up.

Magic of Faerun also has some good, useful druid spells.

Velenne said:
My halfling calls a swamp his home and has a soft spot for reptiles. His companion is currently a viper but later on will be upgraded to things he can ride: Alligator, Deyonichus (sp?), Megaraptor, T-Rex. :D

Don't forget the Dire animals. Can you say, Legendary Dire Megaraptor ... ? LOL. But seriously ... it's a fun concept. I'm kinda picturing a cajun halfling, makin' crawdad gumbo ... heh.

Anyone have any tips for making this work? Or other ideas for playing a druid?

Go to the wizard's website and check out "Far Corners of the World" -- they're doing swamps and marshes right now. Also check ou the Tropical Paradise bits, as there's some ecological/magical overlap between a rain forest and some kinds of swamps.

Lastly ... check out Dragon #311. Great stuff, several variant druids included. :)

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well there is the not so subtle "get one level of monk" tactic and keep use Wisdom AC in animal form too. :)

Druids if specialized in their spellcasting can be quasi mages. Get spell prodigy in Forgotten... specialize in elemental stuff.

3.5 has a way too strong summoning list for Natures Ally... go for augment summoning. Get natural shape and eschew materials and make spells as any animal you want.

mikebr99

Explorer
Picture this...

You've wildshaped into the Evil General's mount... and have been casting Stilled/Silent area-of-effect spells on his troops for days while they march down from the hills to rape and pillage the unsuspecting villagers.

YMMV

Mike

Darklone

mikebr99 said:
Picture this...

You've wildshaped into the Evil General's mount... and have been casting Stilled/Silent area-of-effect spells on his troops for days while they march down from the hills to rape and pillage the unsuspecting villagers.

YMMV

Mike
Or the good old druid assassin. BBEGs pet cat suddenly changes into a halfelf doublewielding scimitars...

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Yep. My druid / shifter had some fun when he found the camp of some bandits that had pillaged a small village.

A little bird singing a little song named Briar Web, followed by funeral song named Heat Metal for the three guys trying to ride away and at last a charming tune for the only guy outside the web.

Well, eight bandits realised that moving in a thorny web is a bad idea and stood still. Others tried to escape - and died.

If you like changing your form, go for the shifter. This PrC becomes really powerful if the druid has access to Wild Shape (Elemental) and gets ALL powers of the chosen elemental. Now merge Wild Shape with Greater Wild Shape from the shifter PrC... :D

A different option is the animal lord. Focus on the reptile (or snake?) lord and get some fine powers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases