Future Support

Pour

First Post
Just thought it would be handy to keep a running record of future support for the edition. Feel free to post up what you know. In my immediate radar is Sasquatch Game Studio (Rich Baker, Dave Noonan, and Steve Schubert) with a campaign setting late 2013/early2014 called Primeval Thule, which is awesome. Love those guys and their choosing to support us 4e players alongside PF is a plus.

Unfortunately, that's about all I know about, save whatever Dungeon and Dragon magazines decides to put out. And maybe the next Encounters season? Help me out if I'm missing something here.

Pour

First Post
Actually, I do know of one other product in store for us via Darklight Interactive.

If you haven't checked out Seyvoth Manor yet, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It is the best haunted house adventure for 4e, and is pretty much what I wished Ravenloft would have been in the edition. Excellent stuff hovering in a difficulty level harder than normal but not quite the overkill of 4thcore. And it's FREE!

He has something else in the works involving kobolds, low level stuff but no doubt top notch from the talented Mr. Flor.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In addition to support in Dragon and Dungeon magazines, 4E's future support also includes:

D&D Encounters: Search For The Diamond Staff (June)
Murder In Baldur's Gate (August)
Legacy of the Crystal Shard (October)

Kinak

First Post
I remember the GSL having a fairly draconian (pun intended) cancellation clause when it was first revealed. Does anyone know if that's still in there?

I'm just curious how much say WotC has in all of this.

Cheers!
Kinak

pemerton

Legend
I remember the GSL having a fairly draconian (pun intended) cancellation clause when it was first revealed.
I doubt that ongoing 4e material will be published under the GSL, which is ultimately a trademark/trade dress licence.

How far you can go in supporting/recreating 4e without using WotC trademarks and/or trade dress is an interesting question!

delericho

Legend
I remember the GSL having a fairly draconian (pun intended) cancellation clause when it was first revealed. Does anyone know if that's still in there?

I'm just curious how much say WotC has in all of this.

My understanding is that the GSL scared off a huge portion of prospective third-party supporters. Some of those who remained provided their support using the OGL - they either wrote their stuff to be stat-free ("treat these firearms like these crossbows...") or introduced workarounds (see some of the Goodman modules from early 4e). I don't think it's impossible that this could continue.

But I suspect that the bulk of ongoing 4e support will take the form of fans sharing their homebrew efforts, probably without any license at all. Unless, that is, someone manages to put together an OGL-compliant retroclone of the edition... but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

(I don't think an OGL-compliant 4e retroclone is impossible, but I do think it's risky. It's one thing for WotC to turn a blind eye to people providing support of an edition that's decades out of print. But 4e is the current edition, and if it does get a retroclone then it could be a serious threat - and WotC have experience with their old edition becoming their strongest competitor. So you'll have to be very careful to get it right.)

Quickleaf

Legend
In addition to support in Dragon and Dungeon magazines, 4E's future support also includes:

D&D Encounters: Search For The Diamond Staff (June)
Murder In Baldur's Gate (August)
Legacy of the Crystal Shard (October)
Those last two are system-neutral, right? So not really 4e products.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases