Girallons as mounts?

dammitbiscuit

First Post
I don't even really want to get into the whole Mounted Combat rules - I just want to convince my DM that, when not fighting, my girallon, Bwagadaa, when moving around quadrupedally would be capable of carrying me.

I know that, somewhere (possible in the 1e books that I used to own?), there is a picture of a pack of girallons standing around on four limbs, with only their forward pair of limbs raised up. The MM description states that they generally move around that way, but all the pictures on Google Images seem to be of standing, angry Girallons.

Furthermore, is there any rules-basis I could call upon? Some monsters specifically state in their description that they can be used as mounts, others don't mention it but still see action in that capacity. Girallons, obviously, don't say any such thing, but the BHA PrC wasn't exactly around at the time of the MM's printing.

I am a Beast Heart Adept, and this guy is my monstrous companion, so I'd think that if it's at all possible, I would definitely have the appropriate authority-in-charge relationship to convince Bwagadaa to allow it.

Kask

First Post
A girallon is basically a 4 armed gorilla. Go watch a gorilla move around. There is nowhere to really put a saddle. Heck, you can't even saddle a zebra...

frankthedm

First Post
Kask, that's a little unfair. The OP is just asking about the capacity of Girallon to bear the BHA on it's back out of combat. It does not sound like dammitbiscuit is trying to get a Reaching, rending, 5 attacks a round battle platform. EDIT: Oh, never mind, I thought you were JUST posting your sig...

Here are some suggestions and ?clarifications? from wotc on mounts. I think there is some mention of what shape a mount needs to be somewhere in there.

All About Mounts (Part Five)
All About Mounts (Part Four)
clear_dot.gif

All About Mounts (Part Three)
All About Mounts (Part Two)
All About Mounts (Part One)

Since I don't like the idea of large (tall) {has 10' reach] creatures being ridden, I'd rather just say the thing picks you up and carries you. Even if it does not get the quadruped capacity multiplier, you'd have to be over 346 lbs. to slow it down. 22 str has a 173lb light load, double that for being large.

http://www.andrewtrabbold.com/Girallon.jpg is a sketch that has a Girallon in a lower posture.

Last edited:

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Oh man, that is a funny image.

My character is a full-blooded Orc, with a goat head, lion head, and dragon head. (soulmeld: threefold mask of the chimera)

Maybe I'd let Bwagadaa (girallon) and Hootles (owlbear) carry me overhead, maybe even on a palanquin, but I definitely give off a "Lord of the Pack" vibe moreso than a "Dude With a Big Bad Girallon Bodyguard Protecting Him" sort of a vibe. Being protectively carried like that is just gonna have to be No for now, lol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases