D&D General Got questions about the economy? Play Dungeons & Dragons, says economist

I like this article more. Although I do feel the need to point out...

AD&D is a resource management game is the key to having players and character motivations intersect with your campaign.

IMNSHO, the resource management aspect of D&D has gone down significantly in 5e compared to earlier editions. DMs can put it back in without too much trouble, but it's much less present in the base game.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I like this article more. Although I do feel the need to point out...

IMNSHO, the resource management aspect of D&D has gone down significantly in 5e compared to earlier editions. DMs can put it back in without too much trouble, but it's much less present in the base game.
It's not your opinion, it's a fact. The resource management aspect of D&D barely exists in 5E, if it does at all.

Why bother tracking torches when there are two light-source cantrips and 2/3 of all PC races have darkvision?

Why bother tracking food and water when an Outlander-background character can automatically find food and water and if that's insufficient there are 3-4 low-level spells that provide food for groups?

Why bother tracking encumbrance when it only matters in extreme cases, and only if the DM enforces it?

Why bother tracking the PCs' progress overland when navigation is all but guaranteed or is guaranteed with a ranger in the group?

Why bother with wandering monster checks during overland travel when all drained resources automatically recover after a long rest?

Same with ammo, etc.

And why bother tracking any of it unless time is a resource that's meticulously tracked as well?

The handwaving of the resource management was written into 5E.

Some of you may remember the original Players Handbook talked about the prices being a gold rush economy, where it’s 2 gp for a dagger because treasure and adventures are flooding in. I believe Gygax mentioned eggs for a dollar in the Yukon Gold Rush.

in my campaign, I get into economics for running the fiefs two characters have, and in general working on the setting - like what’s being stolen from the merchant caravans.

Remove ads