Greatest Plot Hooks

themind

Explorer
I agree, we should get this baby going again. Let me start off here.

now, I don't know how great this really is, but this from the Eberron game I've been running until recently. Since, this was my first real successful game as DM, I feel I should include it.

Now, the original backstory of my Campaign is that Eberron used to be Toril (thats right, Forgotten Realms). After a huge War that was literally Good vs. Evil, that even the Gods got involved, Ao decided he had the last straw. If the Gods, couldn't learn from their past mistakes, the never will. Thus, Ao decided to end everything. Erase Toril and its Gods from the cosmos. However, during the process, 4 Dragons who wanted no part in the war attempted to save the world by sacrificing themselves. Surprised at what the Dragons were willing to give up to give the world a second chance, Ao let them.

The spirits of Eberron, Syberis, and Khyber fused their spirits into recreating the world. The remaining Dragon, Klauth stood with Ao. Ao then proclaimed that since the world that Klauth had known was ended, he will have to safeguard this world. He also proclaimed that imprints of the old gods still remained somewhere. And that one day, these remnants would someday appear as mortals who must learn the responsibility of their actions before they may take the mantle of a god again. Ao then left, leaving the new world of Eberron to its fate.

This is where the Hook comes in. Each of the PC's are a remnant of a FR god, although they don't know it at the beginning. We had:

Raven:Wizard (Mystra)
Kerry:Sorceror (Selune)
Torrek: Fighter(Moradin)
Lynx: Rogue (Correlon Lorethian)
Truban: Fighter (Torm)
Siddhartha: Rogue (Tymora)
Jynx:Fighter(Elf archer god) -cant remember

Each character had their own little opening scene, where the first appearance of some power in them manifests. They were all then drawn to the city of Sharn to an Inn, called "Godsmeet". here they all met for the first time. Here they were started on their journey by non-other than Klauth himself.

They thus found a Schema in the depths of Sharn (The Forgotten Forge) along with a map to an old Dwarven Forge out in the country. (the Forge of Fury). Upon their return, Klauth brings them to an audience with Ao, through a portal to Cynosure. Here Ao explains what is happening, who they are, etc.

As the progress in expericance, more and more of their power surfaces. Their adventures encompass finding another Schema (Shadows of the Last War), defeating a rogue Agent turned Vampire (Whispers of the Vampire's Blade), and finding the last peice to the schema pattern and stopping an evil organization of taking control of its power (Grasp of the Emerald Claw).

Now the real quest begin. They will be thrown into a dangerous plot that is already in motion. They will have to compete with many obsticles and many surprises, and they will have to face the Ultimate Evil.

themind said:
I agree, we should get this baby going again. Let me start off here.

now, I don't know how great this really is, but this from the Eberron game I've been running until recently. Since, this was my first real successful game as DM, I feel I should include it.

Now, the original backstory of my Campaign is that Eberron used to be Toril (thats right, Forgotten Realms). After a huge War that was literally Good vs. Evil, that even the Gods got involved, Ao decided he had the last straw. If the Gods, couldn't learn from their past mistakes, the never will. Thus, Ao decided to end everything. Erase Toril and its Gods from the cosmos. However, during the process, 4 Dragons who wanted no part in the war attempted to save the world by sacrificing themselves. Surprised at what the Dragons were willing to give up to give the world a second chance, Ao let them.

The spirits of Eberron, Syberis, and Khyber fused their spirits into recreating the world. The remaining Dragon, Klauth stood with Ao. Ao then proclaimed that since the world that Klauth had known was ended, he will have to safeguard this world. He also proclaimed that imprints of the old gods still remained somewhere. And that one day, these remnants would someday appear as mortals who must learn the responsibility of their actions before they may take the mantle of a god again. Ao then left, leaving the new world of Eberron to its fate.

This is where the Hook comes in. Each of the PC's are a remnant of a FR god, although they don't know it at the beginning. We had:

Raven:Wizard (Mystra)
Kerry:Sorceror (Selune)
Torrek: Fighter(Moradin)
Lynx: Rogue (Correlon Lorethian)
Truban: Fighter (Torm)
Siddhartha: Rogue (Tymora)
Jynx:Fighter(Elf archer god) -cant remember

Each character had their own little opening scene, where the first appearance of some power in them manifests. They were all then drawn to the city of Sharn to an Inn, called "Godsmeet". here they all met for the first time. Here they were started on their journey by non-other than Klauth himself.

They thus found a Schema in the depths of Sharn (The Forgotten Forge) along with a map to an old Dwarven Forge out in the country. (the Forge of Fury). Upon their return, Klauth brings them to an audience with Ao, through a portal to Cynosure. Here Ao explains what is happening, who they are, etc.

As the progress in expericance, more and more of their power surfaces. Their adventures encompass finding another Schema (Shadows of the Last War), defeating a rogue Agent turned Vampire (Whispers of the Vampire's Blade), and finding the last peice to the schema pattern and stopping an evil organization of taking control of its power (Grasp of the Emerald Claw).

Now the real quest begin. They will be thrown into a dangerous plot that is already in motion. They will have to compete with many obsticles and many surprises, and they will have to face the Ultimate Evil.

Great campaign idea, I like it. Though Klauth never seemed like the noble type to me. Granted, he does do some non-evil acts, but he's still a red dragon. Also, who were the other three dragons?

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
Yum..... GJ for rezzurecting the forum!!!

Thas cool! Very cool, and even evil dragons are smart enough to know when the good outweighs the bad, remember, Chaotic Evil dosent meam Chaotic Stupid. I read a dragonlance book where a dying silver dragon was helped by a red dragon who was injured by a evil prophet who was going to take over the world. They teamed up to help the humans defeat her.

themind

Explorer
I guess i didnt really say who they were. They were Eberron, Siberys, and Khyber.

Well, I had the war happen in 1400 DR, the last year that has a name in the FRCS, I figured that maybe Klauth would have settled down more.

And in Eberron, he had millions of years to really change his personallity some. Remember, alignments are more blurred in Eberron, you could have a LG Red Dragon and a CE Silver Dragon.

Catavarie

First Post
I had a plot hook before that was very simple and easy, I simply had the sister of my PCs kidnapped, needless to say they were all ready to kick some ass and they really got into the game, so much so that we had to cal a break 30 mins into the session to calm them all down.

P.S. Luckily they were all Humans so was easy to make them all related. :D

derbacher

Explorer
One of my favorites, though I don't remember where I yoinked it from:

PCs get caught in a hole (old castle, cave?) with overwhelming numbers against them. They have some warning and a time period when they will be relieved, if they can hold on. Idea is that the PCs improvise with what is around and hold out for siege. Turns the GMing on its head. They have a plan of defenses, not the GM, and the GM leads his baddies against it. Players spring their surprises in traps etc. Must have a map agreement on what can be done in time available. Players tend to cheat outrageously, but great fun for all concerned, with a change of pace for both DM and players.

-----
Mission continues.

Remove ads