D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

FullCaster

First Post
Thank you very much for posting this guide. It is exactly what I was looking for! However, I was also wondering if you could explain a bit more your level 1 spell choices? Why not something like Chromatic Orb for its higher damage output and elemental flexibility?

Thanks!

Eldritch Blast does more damage once you get to level 5 and Chromatic orb does not scale very well. Actually Chromatic orb in general is an awful spell. It just wastes level 1 spell slots that can be used on premium spells like Hex and Shield. Also Sorcerers already have a very limited amount of known spells.

xAxTragicxEndx

First Post
This might sounds like a dumb question but I'm a newer player and I'm just trying to figure out the numbers. How is this build getting +11 to attacks and the +88 on damage. I understand that it is twinned EB so 4 bolts twice but I don't get where the +11 to the hit and damage is coming from. +5 makes sense to me if you have 20 CHA but there is something that I must be missing as a newer player because 6 extra damage guaranteed per bolt is huge.

I'm asking because I am running a pretty similar character in my first ever campaign but I wanna make sure that I'm not missing some amazing tools that I don't know about.

Zene

First Post
This might sounds like a dumb question but I'm a newer player and I'm just trying to figure out the numbers. How is this build getting +11 to attacks and the +88 on damage. I understand that it is twinned EB so 4 bolts twice but I don't get where the +11 to the hit and damage is coming from. +5 makes sense to me if you have 20 CHA but there is something that I must be missing as a newer player because 6 extra damage guaranteed per bolt is huge.

I'm asking because I am running a pretty similar character in my first ever campaign but I wanna make sure that I'm not missing some amazing tools that I don't know about.

The extra +6 to hit is coming from the L20 proficiency bonus (+6). The extra +6 damage per bolt is coming from Hexblade's Curse, which gives you +damage equal to your proficiency bonus per hit.

BurgerKingMan

First Post
Hello, I recently joined a campaign that is playing through storm king's thunder and I am currently a level 3 hexblade. Now that I read the guide I realize that starting hexblade was not the most optimal strategy. My question is now if I should start taking sorcerer levels now or is the race to 3rd level spells important enough to go hexblade 5 before taking sorcerer levels?

Alex Dupree

First Post
Can someone give me the break down on how you get to 24AC? I get Halfplate is 15+3 with armor master which is 18. and then add 2 for a shield. Which totals to 20. Where is the other 4 coming from? or even the 26 AC?

Obliza

Explorer
Can someone give me the break down on how you get to 24AC? I get Halfplate is 15+3 with armor master which is 18. and then add 2 for a shield. Which totals to 20. Where is the other 4 coming from? or even the 26 AC?

Halfplate +3
Shield +3

Halfplate = 15 + Dex modifier (max 2) = 17
Halfplate +3 = 20
Halfplate +3 with Armor Master (+3Dex Mod) = 21

Shield = +2AC
Shield +3 = +5AC

Shield+3 + Halfplate +3 + Armormaster = 26

Keep in mind that getting Half-plate +3 and/or Shield +3 is extremely unlikely unless your DM is either super charitable/moronic.

For fun Add on
Staff of Power = +2AC
For 28AC.

Then cast the shield spell on reaction

=33 AC.

To everyone else with questions, sorry I've been busy with academia opportunities. I should have some free time in a few weeks.

Abrady44

First Post
This guide is absolutely fantastic. I played this build at level 5 using 3 levels of sorc and 2 levels of warlock. It was immensely fun with good tankiness, good healing, good damage and good versatility. One of the most powerful moves at that level was to twin healing word for 1 sorc point. You heal 2 allies in a single bonus action and you can still eldritch blast twice. We had 2 party members down and things were looking dire... I managed to reanimate both of them and kill an enemy in a single turn, completely reversing the situation.

EnWorld#0000

Villager
What multiclass should my level 5 PC take for maximum damage per standard adventuring day?
Hexblade 2/x

We’re starting at 5th level, and another player will be playing a 5th level Shadow Sorcerer. They’ve agreed to Concentrate on keeping the Darkness spell up so that our 2 PCs can both make use of Advantage on ranged/melee and Disadvantage to enemies targeting us for ranged attacks. There will be other players, but they don’t want to strategize.

Or go Sorcerer x levels for quickened spells. Concentrate on haste at higher levels.
Could go Paladin x levels (GWM) for smites & the bonus to saving throws. Concentrate on Bless.
Or go Rogue x levels for reliable damage and skill versatility. GFB & Concentrate on Shadow Blade.

Obliza

Explorer
What if you got heavy armor somehow? What would ac be then? Same, I think, but youd get -3 damage, with the feat

Medium Armor Master removes the disadvantage on your Dexterity (Stealth) checks.
It also allows +1 AC

Heavy Armor Master gives +1 Strength (Useless)
And reduces non-magical by -3.

The -3 is amazing early on but gets progressively less useful throughout the campaign.
I often play games where our DM imposes party stealth checks for a variety of reasons. I absolutely loathe disadvantage on stealth checks.

What multiclass should my level 5 PC take for maximum damage per standard adventuring day?
Hexblade 2/x

We’re starting at 5th level, and another player will be playing a 5th level Shadow Sorcerer. They’ve agreed to Concentrate on keeping the Darkness spell up so that our 2 PCs can both make use of Advantage on ranged/melee and Disadvantage to enemies targeting us for ranged attacks. There will be other players, but they don’t want to strategize.

Or go Sorcerer x levels for quickened spells. Concentrate on haste at higher levels.
Could go Paladin x levels (GWM) for smites & the bonus to saving throws. Concentrate on Bless.
Or go Rogue x levels for reliable damage and skill versatility. GFB & Concentrate on Shadow Blade.

If you are planning to take advantage of darkness it is unlikely you would go a melee spec given darkness will disadvantage any of your allies who can not see through it while in meele.

Remove ads