D&D 1E H1 Bloodstone Pass released in POD format on DriveThruRPG! (UPDATE: POD option, previously taken down, is now available again)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
WotC has just made H1 Bloodstone Pass available for print-on-demand over on DriveThruRPG!

Now available in softcover format for $6.99, H1 Throne of Bloodstone was originally released in 1985 as "the first Battlesystem supermodule," having been developed alongside the Battlesystem mass combat rules for AD&D (which currently aren't available on DTRPG; the closest we have so far are the Battlesystem Miniatures Rules for AD&D 2E). Indeed, the name "Bloodstone Pass" was the early working title for Battlesystem itself. While the mass combat rules would eventually become an adjunct when they appeared in most later AD&D products, in H1 they're central to the adventure.

However, that wasn't what H1 would become famous for. Instead, it became known as the first entry in the Bloodstone series of adventures, followed by H2 The Mines of Bloodstone, H3 The Bloodstone Wars, and most famous of all, H4 The Throne of Bloodstone, an adventure that was listed as being suitable for characters of levels 18-100, and which concluded with you fighting Orcus (and then Tiamat!). Somewhat ironically, H1 is the last one of the series to receive a print-on-demand option now.

While the series was eventually placed in the Forgotten Realms as of H3, the first two adventures in the series were generic in their presentation (save for one or two confusing references to Greyhawk in H1). We'd eventually get a more concrete take on their placement in the Realms in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands.

This is the latest book to be given a print on demand option from WotC, following Chainmail: Rules for Medieval Miniatures, L3 Deep Dwarven Delve (AD&D 1E), A Guide to the Ethereal Plane (Planescape), DLR3 Unsung Heroes (Dragonlance 2E), Dungeon Master's Guide 2 (4E), Monster Manual 3 (4E), and Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale (4E), and City of the Spider Queen (Forgotten Realms 3.5).

Other recent releases include X4 Master of the Desert Nomads (B/X), B7 Rahasia (BECMI) and DLT2 Book of Lairs (Dragonlance 2E), DLS4 Wild Elves (Dragonlance 2E), Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins (Greyhawk 2E), WGM1 Border Watch (Greyhawk 2E), The Book of Lairs (Forgotten Realms 2E), AC10 Bestiary of Dragons & Giants (BECMI), Halls of Undermountain (4E), the War Captain's Companion (Spelljammer), PC3 Creature Crucible: The Sea People (BECMI), Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 2E), Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms 2E), Volo's Guide to Cormyr (Forgotten Realms 2E), the Dark Sun Boxed Set (the original one for AD&D 2E), Campaign Option: Council of Wyrms, and the Planescape Campaign Setting.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So here's an interesting development: H1 Bloodstone Pass is no longer available in print-on-demand format. While this Google cache confirms that the POD option was available as of yesterday, it's no longer there now.

This isn't the first time WotC has backtracked on products that they've uploaded to DriveThruRPG. They previously put up a copy of Palace of the Vampire Queen only to quickly remove it. They did something similar for a release of Original D&D that included the set's references to various Tolkien properties that were later removed. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time they've made a product available in a particular format and then rescinded that format only.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
That’s odd. Though this did prompt me to pull my copies (H1-H3, H4 is trash) and put them into my “active” collection.

I wonder what made them pull the print copy? Maybe something about the combat tokens for Battlesystem not lining up properly in print?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So the POD option for this title was apparently restored at some point. It's now available for the rather unusual price of $10.24, and is listed as being a "softcover, B&W 70 book." Presumably that "70" is the page count once the maps are taken into account?

Last edited:

I like catching up on the stuff I missed in my youth. But ENworld and the internet in general are so overwhelmingly D&D = 5e, I wonder if reading AD&D and DMing 3.5e even counts as “being a D&D player” anymor?

Stormonu

Legend
I like catching up on the stuff I missed in my youth. But ENworld and the internet in general are so overwhelmingly D&D = 5e, I wonder if reading AD&D and DMing 3.5e even counts as “being a D&D player” anymor?
Sure, there's several folks here and elsewhere that play a variety of editions. I played a 2E game (in Ravenloft) not too long ago, my players were really surprised by it and had a good time.

aco175

Legend
Putting something up and then taking it down = Darksun confirmed? Not much else it could be, well maybe copyright problems.

Remove ads