Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix SPOILERS!!!

SPOILERS may be present.

Saw it last night. Liked it.

But I really gotta wonder? Why the hell does Dumbledore keep Filch around? I mean, really. The man is evil. He seems to relish Delores Umbridge's torture of the students.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Filch is weak of mind - he basically goes along with whatever, though his style is nasty. For all of his nastiness, he's never (as far as I can tell) really committed a serious crime. It's clear that there's something about the Wizarding world, and Hogwart's in particular that requires Slytherin, for example, to be tolerated, and I'm sure that hs something to do with it. Not to mention ya gotta keep some villains around, or the next book would be really boring! :)

Oh, and I saw it last night as well, and enjoyed it. I think I like #3 best, followed by #4 and #5 very close, and then #1 and #2 very close to one another.

Daniel Radcliffe in particular is becoming quite an actor.

Shayuri

First Post
I saw it, and I really liked it a lot. I was disappointed by the fourth one, but Order of the Phoenix was a welcome surprise.

As for Filch, Dumbledore wouldn't fire anyone without direct provocation, ya know. It'd be mean. As long as Filch plays by the rules (which he does) and doesn't actually hurt anyone (which he doesn't), Dumbledore isn't the type to be concerned about what he mutters to himself.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
But I really gotta wonder? Why the hell does Dumbledore keep Filch around? I mean, really. The man is evil. He seems to relish Delores Umbridge's torture of the students.
Seriously, has Dumbledore EVER been a good headmaster? I mean, Snape's antics, Filch's blehness, letting Hagrid teach?

:)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
My only problem is as much with the book as the movie. Umbridge is seriously derailing their plans and at the least I'd expect Snape to be practical enough to just assassinate her and let the spiders in the Forest handle the evidence. He's got to have Order members that aren't known to all the world that can put the fear of god in the Minister and set him back on the right track or take him out if necessary.

EDIT: Just to state the obvious I don't understand the whole "good-guy" thing so please don't be offended. For comparison a friend in high school had a quote he always teased me with "A terrible and ancient darkness has arisen to torment the world, and it's you." So please excuse if I don't really get it.

Last edited:

Acid_crash

First Post
3 is still my favorite, followed by 4 and 1, then 5 and 2.

I liked this one, but I think that they dropped the ball, and the movie should have had more in it. I didn't like how they killed Sirius, but not having read any of the books I don't know if that's how he died in the book.

I was watching it, there was a decent battle, then Harry was crying and I had to ask my wife if I missed something. I didn't know that by him going through the portal he was killed, and it seemed to me that he could have stopped it, so to me his death felt forced and just didn't have the impact it should have.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Acid_crash said:
3 is still my favorite, followed by 4 and 1, then 5 and 2.

I liked this one, but I think that they dropped the ball, and the movie should have had more in it. I didn't like how they killed Sirius, but not having read any of the books I don't know if that's how he died in the book.

I was watching it, there was a decent battle, then Harry was crying and I had to ask my wife if I missed something. I didn't know that by him going through the portal he was killed, and it seemed to me that he could have stopped it, so to me his death felt forced and just didn't have the impact it should have.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but that sounds pretty much like how he "dies" in the book - he gets chucked through this spooky curtain to the land of the dead or something (not convinced he's gone for good - seems a little too convenient to me).

And don't get me started on Dumbledore's bizarre way of doing things. I'm not a huge Potter fan, but read the books at my gf's behest and enjoyed them. Dumbledore's behaviour in Half-Blood Prince infuriated me to the point that I almost gave up on the book. What was the man thinking? Witless baboon. That or JK needed him to be so short-sighted out of narrative necessity. Either way, it's a real flaw in the book(s). I suppose it's possible that big D's "mistakes" are part of some Cunning Plan, but to be honest it has gone beyond the point of credulity for that. Oh well. Don't wanna go off on one. For a supposedly wise old fellow, he can be a real moron sometimes.

Remove ads