He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (no not that one)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Interesting the way they adapt it to modern tastes; they deal with the 'uncoolness' of he-man types (at least among the intelligentsia) by basically making him the fighter in a D&D party ('master of magic'? 'master of the wild'? 'master of technology'? 'master of demolitions'? so we've got a wizard, a druid, an artificer, and a saboteur-subclass thief, more or less). The visuals, with their large eyes and multicolored hair, are anime-influenced. The bit of ironic distance as to whether he actually turns into a different person when he turns into He-Man is pretty funny too (and may wind up serving as a metaphor for puberty).

Actually I like it; at least Adam gets to be part of the team. Though I am way out of the target demographic, as you say.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I was not enamoured of the animation style used in Netflix She-Ra and that proved to a good watch, so while Im not enamoured of this either I will give it a chance.
Although I dont like that its a bunch of snotty kids and I dont like Prince Adams haircut either :p

Yeah I’m not the target audience

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Reminding myelf that this is not aimed for a +36-year-old man, this series doesn't look half bad. It seems like a pretty hokey-fun facelift and update to the franchise. I hope that it takes off well on Netflix.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
With the re-imagining of the recent She-Ra and the Princesses of Power on Netflix, the demographic was quite wide. I watched it with one of my teenagers and we both quite enjoyed it.

This He-Man trailer definitely does seem like Saturday Morning Cartoons, not deeper, and aimed at the younger bracket. I'll give it a try to see if the trailer was an accurate microcosm or just a marketing rendition focusing on the action and humor as hooks to get people to watch and that it has broader appeal.

Undrave

Legend
I don't know if this is gonna have the same depth and quality as She-Ra... the title is a little confusing too, branding wise.

I like the designs, except for He-Man's tiny legs. Never skip leg day :p

GreyLord

Legend
I am confused. Why are they making multiple He-man series that seem to cover the same ground?

Are we supposed to be confused?

Is this in any way related to the other series, or completely separate? Is this the Masters of Eternia in a pre-quel type thing?

Not sure what to think.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I am confused. Why are they making multiple He-man series that seem to cover the same ground?

Is this in any way related to the other series, or completely separate? Is this the Masters of Eternia in a pre-quel type thing?

Not sure what to think.
Yeah for some unfathomable reason Netflix approved two independent He-Man series to both appear in 2021. This one is kiddy-Man in space, and entirely unrelated to Kevins Revelation

Aldarc

Legend

Not sure what to think.
One series is written for adults who grew up with the original Filmation series and meant to be a spiritual sequel of sorts. This one is a new, updated take on the franchise aimed at selling toys to young kids.

At this point, think of He-Man as not a singular universe, but as a multiverse. In this respect, it's more like the different TV iterations of Batman, Transformers, etc. In fact, the upcoming He-Man RPG, which uses Cortex Prime, is being built using a multiverse approach to He-Man.

Remove ads