Heavy Armor Optimization

Boddynock

First Post
I don't know of a Heavy Armor Optimization feat - it certainly hasn't come up in recent discussion.

My first thought is that such a feat would be underpowered. Since the benefits have to do with increased mobility - reduced ACP, improved speed, increased Max Dex Bonus for light armour - there'd be a tradeoff for a dexterous character, who'd have to forgo Dex Bonus for improved AC. While that's always been the case for an agile PC who wants extra AC, the payoffs for Heavy Armor Optimization would seem to me to be a feeble restitution for losing however many points of Dex bonus.

Given the progression and change of benefits which exist in Light -> Medium Armor Op., it's unlikely that we'd go back to an improved Max Dex bonus for Heavy A.O.

Still, if you're interested, put together a proposal (I'd use the existing feats as a template) and float it. People will make their observations about it, and you'll get an answer one way or the other. ;)

IcyCool

First Post
When I did the armor optimization feats, I didn't include Heavy Armor optimization because there are already existing feats for that in Races of Stone. I didn't know if we were going to include that material, so I didn't make any.

I should probably mention that at least one of the judges isn't a big fan of the Light Armor Optimization chain. So you might not want to use them as a template for Heavy Armor Optimization.

Solange

First Post
Well, Light Armor Optimization is IMHO the most powerful approved LEW feat that I've seen, and a must have for any light armor wearer, so I can understand that. My dervish is planning on taking the feat soon. I think at Level 5, which is the first free feat she has.

Medium Armor Optimization gives back some movement, which is nice, and makes medium armor interesting. I was just wondering if someone had an idea for a heavy armor optimization feat. To balance it with Light Armor, you'd either need to give max dex back, or just give a flat ac bonus. To balance it with Medium, you'd need something like reduced movement penalties or something.

Just curious. Not sure how it would be done or if someone had it out there already.

Bront

The man with the probe
Maybe something like a lower ACP and resistance to criticals? Kind of like fortification enchantment, but maybe not as powerful? (+2 AC vs a critical threat, +4 for the improved version)

I think I like this better though. The normal one reduces the ACP by 1 and adds +2 to the Critical Threat AC, and the Improved one reduces the ACP by 1 once more and raises the maximum dexterity bonus by +1?

It means a slightly less powerful one gives way to a slightly more powerful one.

The only concern is does it worth with Mithril heavy armor, and my guess would be no given that Medium Armor Optimization works with that.

Bront

The man with the probe
IcyCool said:
I should probably mention that at least one of the judges isn't a big fan of the Light Armor Optimization chain. So you might not want to use them as a template for Heavy Armor Optimization.
There are 2, but we relented since it was already approved HAO needs to be interesting enough to make it appealing to make up for LAO, but I'd like it a bit more balanced.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
There are 2, but we relented since it was already approved HAO needs to be interesting enough to make it appealing to make up for LAO, but I'd like it a bit more balanced.
Yeah, I wasn't a judge at the time. And Bront, I see with Vanitri that you've taken a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach as well. It makes sense. I would too if I had anyone who wears Light Armour.

IcyCool

First Post
Well, it's not terribly hard to change the feat. But I see that the desire to change it wasn't exactly very strong ... :)

At any rate, I think the Races of stone feats lower ACP and provide flat AC bonuses. I like Bront's proposed idea, it doesn't sound too bad. Maybe a little weak, if anything.

Remove ads