Holding on to and "Returning" weapons

Dross

Explorer
My DM has a house rule that requires a STR check to hold on to a lance when doing large amounts of damage (basically critical on a charge) and I'm looking for solutions. He has basically given me permission to come up with any idea (as long as he okays it), but would like to see what there "officially" is before creating something from scratch.

So besides a locked gauntlet and maybe a hoop at the lance grip, what other mundane ways are there to keep hold of a weapon?

Besides the "Returning" proprty on thrown weapons, what other ways are there to have a weapon return/come to you (and could you list the source)?

There's an Artificer infusion called Indisputable Possession.

It allows you to, as a move action, call an item back to your hand. If it's in another creature's possession, that creature can attempt a Will save to keep the weapon.

RigaMortus2

First Post
green slime said:
The psionic power call weapon, from the XPH.

Of course this doesn't call a specific weapon. You can't, for example, call for your +1 flaming longsword. You can call for a generic longsword however.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Carry multiple lances and use quick draw (good strategy at lower levels).

Get higher strength score :p

Try to convince your DM that his houserule is biased and hurts non-magical types.
Does your DM make wizards roll Int checks when they kill someone with an instant death spell (or cast a maximized fireball) in order to act next round?

mvincent

Explorer
Maybe keep a back-up lance in your haversack? (while your mount is charging, you have an otherwise unused move action that could be used for drawing it)

Also, you could keep it tied to your horse via a long piece of rope.

However, I don't recall knights having the problem of losing their lances (especially since the lances were braced against their breastplate). They more commonly broke their lance and/or were knocked off their horse.

Dross

Explorer
Aust Diamondew said:
Try to convince your DM that his houserule is biased and hurts non-magical types.
Does your DM make wizards roll Int checks when they kill someone with an instant death spell (or cast a maximized fireball) in order to act next round?

No, wizards do not need to roll INT checks for this, but those casting spell may need concentration checks for things not covered in the rules. rolling a natural 1 on attack using bows can break the string. etc etc.

There are a few house rules that my DM has that bring some 'realism' into the game, and it goes for PC and NPC alike, and as a group we are fine with them. I only mentioned the one that i was interested in.

And to my view at least, most rules can be biased towards/against certain types, so taking one rule by itself and saying "It's biased against ###" shouldn't be done. :D

Last edited:

Dross

Explorer
HHhmmmm,

Indespensible Posession might work Patryn. I assume that's from an Eberron book?

Soverign Glue?? So how do I let go of the lance? What if i need to drop it? :eek:

Okay, a bit more info for people:
PC is a fighter/Paly, just short of being able to cast spells and concentrating on mounted combat. I use a large sheild, rideby attack and have a magical lance as my primary weapon and do not have another lance that is as good as this one (i.e. magical). Given any check and my poor dice rolling history, I will fail at some stage and both my DM and I are partial to a creative solution for this problem. So I want to be able to retreive the weapon if I loose it, and I need to be able to drop and regain the weapon as circumstances require it (cast a spell, drink potion, etc).

Remove ads