D&D 5E Horde of shifter barbarians, prepare for the deluge!

Sacrosanct

Legend
OK, the title is a bit hyperbolic lol. But looking at the new revised races in Eberron compared to UA, and the wisdom shifter now has an ability that while shifted, no creature within 30ft will had advantage on attacks against you.

So...

I immediately see a wave of shifter barbarians with reckless attack heading my DMing table way...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It's not that great: Barbarians have a problem with Bonus Action Scarcity as is.

Rage is a Bonus Action.
Shifting is a Bonus Action.

I predict to see Kalashtar Bear Totems with Resistance to Everything and advantage on WIS saves for virtually no weaknesses though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's not that great: Barbarians have a problem with Bonus Action Scarcity as is.

Rage is a Bonus Action.
Shifting is a Bonus Action.

I predict to see Kalashtar Bear Totems with Resistance to Everything and advantage on WIS saves for virtually no weaknesses though.

Reckless attack doesn't require rage. And shifting is durational, right? So you're not really using up bonus actions during combat to have this combo

I pointed this out earlier, the real drawback it that +2 wis +1 dex isn't well suited to barbarian, which is why I kind of suggested a 2 level dip was the way to go. Moon druid could be good, depending on your DM. I don't think there is anything RAW to stop you shifting whilst wildshaped, but...

Another good one would be rogue (scout would fit the theme) - advantage on every attack = sneak attack, although Reckless Attack only works on strength attacks.

A crit fishing build would be another option, perhaps with Champion Fighter and GWM.

I don't envision hordes of them though...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Honestly Reckless Attack makes starting with 14 Strength on a Barbarian Hardly noticeable.

15, 14, 15, 8, 14, 8 bumping Str and Con at level 4 would be a Solid Barbarian. The only thing that would really suck is not being able to get GWM at level 4.

5ekyu

Hero
Honestly Reckless Attack makes starting with 14 Strength on a Barbarian Hardly noticeable.

15, 14, 15, 8, 14, 8 bumping Str and Con at level 4 would be a Solid Barbarian. The only thing that would really suck is not being able to get GWM at level 4.
I do agree here. Had a halfling or goblin barbie who used shortsword 14 str, 16 dex, 16 con. When raging used strength with reckless. When normal, used finesse. Had bow for range (sharpshooter iirc.)

Works fine and AC is bigger early.

Sacrosanct

Legend

I don't know, I think the difference between gaining advantage on all melee attacks for an encounter per rest is pretty noticeable compared to getting the +1 to hit and damage gained from the extra STR. The added hits can certainly make up for the loss of the extra point of damage (you're not doing the extra damage if you're not hitting).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I don't know, I think the difference between gaining advantage on all melee attacks for an encounter per rest is pretty noticeable compared to getting the +1 to hit and damage gained from the extra STR. The added hits can certainly make up for the loss of the extra point of damage (you're not doing the extra damage if you're not hitting).
I may have phrased that poorly, or I am misunderstanding you. As it seems like we are in agreement.

I meant the -1 to hit from starting with 14 instead of 16 becomes hardly noticeable except against very high AC bosses, as Advantage on Attacks is a much larger die roll modifier. The minus 1 to damage is even more negligible as it only happens on hits you've already landed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases