OD&D How are your original dice holding up?

Emirikol

Adventurer
My first two sets: Moldvay Basic and Moldvay Expert box each had sets of dice.
The Basic set dice were the crappy gray ones (white crayon). My guess is by the time I got my own D&D boxed set they were down to the dregs of dice. They seemed to wear well.

My Expert set had the ORANGE dice! (example photo below from dice-collector).
They seem to have peeled and are practically gumballs now.

How have your dice held up?

dragondice.jpg

8e18f8af2b6d1da6eaa87bbb523148.jpg

Emirikol

Adventurer
I also had these, but the blue were a navy blue. These also didn't age well. Like the orange dice (example photo above), they seem to peel on their ends as they wear.

b064c7b9bba55fdd6b196d924068ac.jpg

Ondath

Hero
My first dice are not that old, I bought them in a local monthly convention in 2010 (or was it 2011?). I immediately lost the d12, but the rest are holding up, alongside the case in which I bought them! It was a translucent, green set, kinda like this one:
1659994906204.png

I got much better dice afterwards, but well, you never forget your first right?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I love those green dice. I think my first sets I bought after the originals were a clear and a green set from Koplow (Nice Dice). They are gorgeous and easy to read (the green ones at least). I gave my clear set to some kid at a game convention as a gift (I couldn't read them very well anyway).

Yora

Legend
I got a couple of dice that came with some Forgotten Realms box sets. Got them for 22 years now and they are still perfectly fine. No signs of wear.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
My first was a set of those cheapy pale blue ones that came in the Mentzer Red Box Basic set, with a snazzy white crayon. They're still around, very worn and chipped, with the d%s (I think) yellowing unpleasantly, as well. I don't use them in games anymore, but they still have an honored place in my equally ancient paisley dicebag, and so they accompany me whenever and wherever I go to play.

ephemeron

Explorer
Mine came in the Mentzer Red Box, but a late enough version that they were pre-inked and each a different color. They're aging very well - no visible wear.

I had a great moment a few years ago when I realized that half the people at the gaming table were younger than those dice.

Last edited:

Lazvon

Adventurer
First set are 2d10 that came with Indiana Jones box set from back in the mid-80s. They are still holding up, just saw them a couple weeks ago when I was going through some dice.

I didn't get any dice in the Holmes boxed set I bought back in 1980 (mine was one of the ones that had only chits), so I bought bunches of loose ones... the toy store that had all the gaming stuff in town had bins of them. I've tossed a few over the years that were irretrievably rounded and useless, but still have some. There are some oddities.... some of those '0-9 twice' D20s that stood in for D20s, D10s, and D100s; some other D20s that have 0-9 twice, but one set has the + sign on them. Still have some original basic dice.... I've added quite a few over the years....

Remove ads