D&D 5E How Do I Make A Melee DEX Fighter Like THIS Guy (video link included)?!

pontinyc

Explorer
Like the title says, I'd love to optimize a dude like this Shadow Warrior from this Warhammer cinematic. However, I don't care much about the ranged so I'd prefer not to go into feats or a fighting style to support ranged.

https://youtu.be/2iO9cGopQq0?t=3m2s

Rather, I want to be an insanely fast DEX-type Fighter/Rogue type who flies around an encounter dispatching foes with one (or two) blades and unearthly precision. The problem I'm finding with most builds I find around the web is that most optimized DEX Fighter builds and many Rogue builds seem to be built around Sharpshooter. I'm looking for a build that can do what the guy in the video does in melee and keep pretty close to a straight Fighter in terms of damage. Wishful thinking?

Warlock, Fighter, and Rogue seem to make sense to dip into but I can't figure out in what combination.

Many thanks in advance for any input! Very excited to play this guy!

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Nothing wrong with a straight TWF fighter, though the dude in the video looks more like a ranger to me. Hunter ranger gives you whirlwind attack and other goodies.

Some nice feats might be Athlete, Blade Mastery (UA), Defensive Duelist, Dual Wielder, Medium Armor Master, Mobile, or Savage Attacker.

A dip in rogue would get you Cunning Action and a little Sneak Attack.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Could just be a fighter. Dex based Eldritch Knight with Archery style. Eventually (level 14) you can get Haste as a spell. Haste yourself, action surge - that's 7 attacks in one round, either melee or ranged.

Could just be a rogue.

Could just be a ranger.

Could be heavily multiclassed.

Oofta

Legend
If you have access to the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide, the swashbuckler has some nice features for a dual weapon rogue (doesn't need to use a bonus action to disengage).

So I'd consider multi-class swashbuckler/fighter with two weapon fighting. Make it a wood elf and you get extra movement.

As far as levels, I'd consider 6 levels of fighter (I'd probably go with champion) so you get the extra attack and a stat increase/feat. With 3 attacks per round you're going to get sneak attack in (Swashbucklers doesn't need an adjacent ally) and the extended crit range bumps up the sneak attack nicely.

CydKnight

Explorer
Like the title says, I'd love to optimize a dude like this Shadow Warrior from this Warhammer cinematic. However, I don't care much about the ranged so I'd prefer not to go into feats or a fighting style to support ranged.

https://youtu.be/2iO9cGopQq0?t=3m2s

Rather, I want to be an insanely fast DEX-type Fighter/Rogue type who flies around an encounter dispatching foes with one (or two) blades and unearthly precision. The problem I'm finding with most builds I find around the web is that most optimized DEX Fighter builds and many Rogue builds seem to be built around Sharpshooter. I'm looking for a build that can do what the guy in the video does in melee and keep pretty close to a straight Fighter in terms of damage. Wishful thinking?

Warlock, Fighter, and Rogue seem to make sense to dip into but I can't figure out in what combination.

Many thanks in advance for any input! Very excited to play this guy!
I've pondered this quite a bit lately for a Fighter and feel that a 2-weapon fighter might be best optimized as a strength based Battlemaster after a lot of thought about how best to design it as a dex based fighter.

The best dex based Ranger to me seems to be a Hunter Archer with the Sharpshooter feat. A 2-weapon wielding Ranger is pretty good with things like Hordebreaker and Whirlwind attack but maybe not as optimized in combat as you seem to want.

Barolo

First Post
If wearing a shield is not a problem for you, dex-based sword and board avenger paladin also works and is quite optimized. You will get relentless avenger, misty step and eventually haste, all improving mobility and the latter even giving some extras. You will also deal a ton of damage through divine smite, while only losing 1~2 AC compared to a heavily armored str-based PC. You can grab defensive duelist as a feat and stealth via background, or multiclass rogue for extra damage sneak attack, cunning action, which also boosts your mobility, and expertise in stealth. You can also pick up medium armor mastery latter, effectively boosting your AC to the same number as the str build, while keeping a nice non-disadvantaged stealth.

As far as levels, I'd consider 6 levels of fighter (I'd probably go with champion) so you get the extra attack and a stat increase/feat. With 3 attacks per round you're going to get sneak attack in (Swashbucklers doesn't need an adjacent ally) and the extended crit range bumps up the sneak attack nicely.
Battle Master is easily better than Champion with the Fighter MC. Get Riposte and get extra Sneak Attacks off-turn. Add the Sentinel feat and you become even more likely to get that extra off-turn Sneak Attack.

If wearing a shield is not a problem for you, dex-based sword and board avenger paladin also works and is quite optimized. You will get relentless avenger, misty step and eventually haste, all improving mobility and the latter even giving some extras. You will also deal a ton of damage through divine smite, while only losing 1~2 AC compared to a heavily armored str-based PC. You can grab defensive duelist as a feat and stealth via background, or multiclass rogue for extra damage sneak attack, cunning action, which also boosts your mobility, and expertise in stealth. You can also pick up medium armor mastery latter, effectively boosting your AC to the same number as the str build, while keeping a nice non-disadvantaged stealth.

Or, for that matter, dual-wielding DEX Paladin. Improved Divine Smite adds to off-hand damage, plus you get another opportunity to add Divine Smite that round. If you're an Oathbreaker you get Aura of Hate damage on the off-hand, too. Paladin doesn't get TWF style in class, but Defense still works.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Or, for that matter, dual-wielding DEX Paladin. Improved Divine Smite adds to off-hand damage, plus you get another opportunity to add Divine Smite that round. If you're an Oathbreaker you get Aura of Hate damage on the off-hand, too. Paladin doesn't get TWF style in class, but Defense still works.

Or go Quarterstaff with the Polearm Master feat and Dueling Style. :)

Not quite the same as the guy in the video, but that combo has worked for me.

Remove ads