How Quickly Do You Read?

How many days (on average) would it take you to read a 500-page novel?

• 3 Days or Fewer

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 4-5 Days

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 6-7 Days

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 8-9 Days

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 10-11 Days

• 12-13 Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 14-15 Days

• 16 Days or More

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I don't read all that much, I have no idea.

Votes: 1 2.4%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm collecting info for a summer reading project, and I'm curious: How many days would it take you to read a 500-page novel, on average? Suppose you picked up a novel right now, at this very moment: with your current schedule and commitments as they are, how many days would you expect to need to finish it?

For me, it would take me about a week to read a 500-page book. Of course it will vary by the amount of free time I have that week, and how engrossing the writing is, and my general mood, but that's about the average. And it's the average that I'm looking for. How about you?

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I went with 4-5 days as an average. Depending on the necessity of the read, such as for work, or the perceived enjoyment that average could go up or down.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
At least a month, if not a year.

I have a day job, a marriage, two small children, and existing friend and family commitments.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Tough to say. Depending on the size of the book, spacing, font, amount of dialogue (dialogue-heavy books tend to have less words per page), a 500 page book probably has a word count between 150K and a little over 200K. (Most of the books I get are e-books nowadays, so I tend to notice page count less and word count more.)

I generally average a little under 35K words per hour, so a 500 page book would probably be in the 5-6 hour range. So generally a day if work is fairly slow.

The last big book I read was Sanderson's Rhythm of War, which was 460K words, a little over 1,200 pages, and took me about 13 hours over 3 days.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For fiction, I read 60-100 pages an hour, depending on how "crunchy" it is. Technical manuals I read a bit slower, say 30-45 pages an hour with a high retention rate, or even slower if I'm taking notes and/or annotating. Other falls somewhere between - a naval battle history isn't as fast as light fiction, but I don't care about retaining a lot of details ("what date was X") so it's faster than technical.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases