Humans, Fighters, and Life Domain Most Popular On D&D Beyond

Yet more stats published by D&D Beyond, the official licensed Dungeons & Dragons electronic tool. Recently they revealed the most commonly viewed adventures, and the most common classes by tier on their platform. This time they're looking at how often people create characters of each race, class and subclass!

Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 10.16.52.png

Humans are by far the most common choice, with a total of 22% of the character made on the platform. They're followd up by Half-Elves, Tieflings, and Dragonborn. Deep Gnomes are the least popular listed, with under 1%, although the developer confirms that a lot of other races hover around 0.8%, just below it.

Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 10.24.57.png

This is followed up by a look at classes. Fighters come first, and druids last. The "traditional" core four - fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard - make up the top four. The developer mentions that warlocks got very popular just after Xanathar's Guide, but it has returned to normal now.

Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 10.29.16.png

Next it's the turn of the subclasses. The lead of the cleric's Life Domain, sorcerer's Draconic Bloodline and The Fiend (despite being a less popular class) are fairly strong. They note that the Hexblade was the most popular last time they looked, but it's down to 2.8% now.

Of course, these are characters created on the platform, not necessarily played. Lots of people create multiple character builds for fun. According to the developer, that's 8.8 million characters in total.

D

DQDesign

at least those data justify the fact that wotc decided to publish just one splatbook up to now. and it is incidentally in agreement with the minuscule data I can gather from my dmsguild experience, where my PCs' options products sell less than my supplements aimed at DMs.

Barantor

Explorer
I wonder how skewed the subclass information is seeing as Basic D&D is free and the champion, thief, life and evocation subclasses are in Basic?

I do find it interesting that half elf and tiefling are more popular than elves.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder how skewed the subclass information is seeing as Basic D&D is free and the champion, thief, life and evocation subclasses are in Basic?

I do find it interesting that half elf and tiefling are more popular than elves.

The Evocation School still comes in well below several paid subclasses, but it probably influences the data.

The Half-Elf and Tiefling are more popualr than any given Elf Subrace, but the Elf combined numbers are more than anybody except Humans by a fair bit.

In general, also note that these are the cleaned up numbers for Active characters, which corrects for and weeds out test PCs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder what the 7 unidentified segments on the race/sub-race chart are?

Hill Dwarf, Drow, Earth Genasi, Duergar, and Forest Gnome are not named on the Chart. Given the presence of Changelings, I will note that Warforged, Shifters, and Kalasthar are not present either.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases