A Tale Of Lonely Whispers (Renamed)(Closed)

Kaodi

Hero
Formerly: "I May Try Running A PF2 Solo Game"

My last two attempts at running a game were aborted under inclement circumstances - and the World is now on lockdown, so circumstances have hardly improved - but I have the itch to try something again. I was thinking with experimenting with a different dynamic though - just having one player - because it leaves you just waiting for one person, and because I like the idea of character driven stories - and that may be easier if you have only one person to worry about. Depending on how the game went maybe the game could be opened up to more people once we got into a groove and circumstances encouraged it. But also with one person there are fewer people to disappoint if I decide I need to pull the plug again.

I am of mixed mind on whether to suggest starting at level 2 or level 5. Level 5 would certainly be "safer" for the PC if things were run in the standard way. But ideally this sort of game will have "setbacks" caused by failure rather than immediate death. So maybe level 2, a more pedestrian starting place.

In any case - if anyone would like to submit character ideas with some background that can be chewed on I can see if something gives me some inspiration for where we could place and take a story. The ideal scenario would be that I pick a character within the next day or two and then can get to playing pretty much immediately.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
The setting would, of course, be the Inner Sea, in case that was not clear. I would consider a game placed anywhere a player wants. In fact I had an idea to draw up a higher level "prologue" character that we could begin play with immediately while the selected player put together their sheet but what sort of character should be in a prologue, and what they should be doing, still kinda depends of the context of where the game starts and the backstory the PC has unless I make it something reasonably generic.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Seems legit, I'd be interested, but would you consider running with the dual-class variant (basically Gestalt) as a way to even things out for the solo character? If you don't have the Gamemastery guide, the rules are in the official SRD site, here.

That said, I'd definitely go for a 2nd level character under those rules. Gives you just enough of a start to dip your toes into an archetype without being too rediculously powerful.

Kaodi

Hero
I would consider it I suppose. I like level 2 as a starting point precisely because it gives characters a chance to have a dedication they might want from the get-go (the fact that it makes character slightly less squishy also helps).

gargoyleking

Adventurer
What do you think of a razortooth goblin rogue(thief) / sorcerer(fey bloodline) with the street urchin background?

Basically just an orphaned goblin kid who turned to a life of crime and petty tricks to get along until he was 'discovered' by a member of the Pathfinder society and given a new lease on life?

Kaodi

Hero
I can get behind that class combo, but ideally I need a character background that is meatier than that. Something I can base at least a couple of story hooks on. Which way would you hope I would take your character being a goblin though? Would you want prejudice to be played up - or for your ancestry to be mostly unremarked on?

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I think prejudice should definitely be a part of his backstory and something that he has to ocercome, not just from normal people but at least partially from his own people. I'd love to give him some distinctive fey-like features.

That said, this is just the basic character idea and I'm working on the build and backstory now.

Kaodi

Hero
1 DM x 1 Player . I would probably try playing myself again but unless you have a good random generator it is just not very satisfying when you "know" everything that is coming.

Remove ads