I need ideas for brief, 3 player 4e D&D session

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I've been trying to bring together as much of my gaming group from the 80s and 90s as I can. Two of them have expressed definite interest, and one of them has a 1o or 11 year old son that would like to play, also. I was always the default DM, so they told me to try to get something together and we'd play sometime soon.

I haven't DMed in ages, and would like to give 4e a go, as it strikes me as being the kind of game my players and I would've loved back in the day. Given that us old-timers are all rusty, have never played 4e, and the new player is a true newb, I was wondering if anyone out there in EN-World-land had some suggestions for the types of encounters I could run for such a group. I'll likely rely on the Keep on the Shadowfell quick-start rules for this first session, including three of the pregen characters, all first level. We were always more focused on action, especially dungeoncrawls, just to let you know what types of encounters I'm looking for.

Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions?

Rechan

Adventurer
You can't go wrong with a good ol' fashioned Zombie Apocalypse.

The PCs sittin' in the tavern, drinking an ale, and woah, someone shuffles in the door and eats one of the wenches. Zombies on! Then as the zombies begint os urge in, a fire breaks out.

They could wall themselves into the tavern, and the night passes ala "Night of the Living Dead", or they could try to cut their way through the zombies and try to escape town.

If the former, I'd have them encounter something else. Some intelligent zombies that manage to climb up to the second story and climb in a window, or some rotwings that burst through the windows. Maybe a corruption corpse rots through a wall in the back.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
That's an interesting suggestion. I think tossing a horde of minion zombies at them would be a good way to get the ball rolling. Maybe a simple "track down the necromancer" type of adventure would be in order?

Rechan

Adventurer
Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions?
I personally dislike the pregens, but that's just me.

Here are some free 1st level adventures:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...-d-4th-edition-adventure-ennie-nominated.html
Logging in the Twin Valley
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/220679-return-burning-plague-updated.html
Children of Solgan
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/241198-dark-dreams-starter-module.html

The first one, Raiders in Oakhurst, was made with the pre-release rules (namely the starter stuff and various things that were leaked pre-release of 4e). However, a lot of people have played it and liked it a lot.

Rechan

Adventurer
That's an interesting suggestion. I think tossing a horde of minion zombies at them would be a good way to get the ball rolling. Maybe a simple "track down the necromancer" type of adventure would be in order?
Don't be afraid of mixing in a few regular zombies in the mix. One or two that suddenly latch onto them and start chomping, after they've mowed down a dozen (or, lurking in the middle) would certainly get their attention. You could do this deliberately in a second encounter - the first one consists solely of minions, so when the PCs charge into battle in the next fight, they find out that some of the zombies are tougher than they appear!

Although honestly, were I doing it, I wouldn't have a necromancer be the culprit. Instead, it might be a spontaneous situation. Perhaps the Undead have become restless because someone in the graveyard was buried alive (because they were in a coma) and this has upset the dead; the PCs must find and dig up the still-living person.

Or, someone in the graveyard just hasn't accepted Death; they died, but just are too stubborn to go, and this has disrupted the balance. Maybe it's a homeless man who didn't get buriel rites, and he refuses to go until he's put to rest.

But Ye Olde Necromancer ain't a bad way to go, either.

Btw, The_Jester has done a ton of conversions of older-edition monsters. Here are Level 1 and Level 2, just in case you're interested.

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
If you have KotS then I'd suggest pillaging and rearranging it a little, it could work as a nice little sandbox using the hooks:

- Use the "Missing Mentor" hook and the dragon burial site, you could have the kidnappers as just simple bandits (possibly employed by Karlarel).

- Have Lord Padriag put out a reward to find and destroy the band of the kobolds distrupting the trade route, Irontooth does not have to be linked to the Necromancer.

- Have the zombies attack on the town while the PCs are there and they have to defend it. Just have villagers come screaming in through the gates and everyone can watch from the walls. The zombies just wandered out of the Keep, Karlalel is an evil Necromancer and some of his creations just wandered away, he is also experimenting trying to create a gate to the Shadowfell. This hook would give them a reason for investigating the keep as Lord Padriag would want to find where they have come from.

I'd mix up the encounters rather then run them as they appear to be written in KotS, depends what hooks the PCs find interesting. There are a number of characters in the town that could be fleshed out and some extra encounters on the WotC website. Oh, have them start in Winterhaven not just wander in.

If I had KotS to do again I'd run: missing mentor and the dragons burial hook, kobold attack + kobold lair, extra hobgoblin encounter from WotC website and then a zombie attack and have them spend more time getting connected with the towns inhabitants. They need a reasons to save it after all.

Rechan

Adventurer
If you want Quick'n'Easy Dungeoncrawl, just do Kobold Hall, the adventure in the back of the DMG. Although I would replace the dragon with something a little less potent - 3 1st level PCs cannot take on a solo dragon.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I'd been having a bit of "DM's block," and this is really helping. Any other thoughts would also be appreciated.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Here's a little one-shot that I came up with for my "demo" game that I'm running for the players before we get our real campaign started early next year:

For the beginning of the game I keep loving the idea that somebody (I think it was Piratecat) had for how the PC's meet: They are at a location where somebody is recruiting adventurers for a dangerous job. There are lots of PC's and NPC's there seeking to be hired and, when all is said and done, the recruiter picks everybody BUT the PC's. They are left standing there, not having been selected. That's when somebody else steps in and asks them to do a more humble and dirty little job...*

Kobolds Ate My Baby Sheep

The town of Misty Hills lies in the southern lowlands of Semma, right near the Mist edge. It's an area known for its fine wool that is shipped back to the capital city of Semma for the fabric producers there. It is a hilly area, which is the only thing that makes it habitable because it sits just above the Mist. When the tide is high and the winds are wrong, the Mist can creep right up to the doorsteps of the town.

The flocks of sheep have always been subject to some predation. A few sheep disappearing and even a lone shepherd vanishing every few years is not entirely unexpected. But recently a large number of sheep have gone missing and it's become a much bigger problem. A group of shepherds spotted the source of the problem: Kobolds. One of the shepherds, a brash but charismatic youth named Jal Hillson, got together a posse to travel east to the very Edge seeking to recover the flock and put an end to the Kobold threat. That group has not returned. With a high Mist expected in the next couple of days, if they aren't found soon then they will most likely be lost to the Mists.

So the basic idea is pretty simple. PC's travel to the Kobold lair and attempt to locate the missing villagers (and possibly their sheep). Observant PC's will note that, as they draw near to the lair the grass is close cropped. And there is an ominous sound, "like a giant Darth Vader, breathing somewhere nearby." That sound is a big bellows that sucks in the Mists and concentrates it in a special chamber where the sheep are transformed into...Kobolds!

Yes, Kobolds are sheep that have been mutated by the chaos magic of the Mists. Unfortunately for them, they are sterile. On the upside, they have discovered how to increase their numbers by kidnapping sheep from the nearby farms and exposing them to concentrated amounts of Mist. This hastens the natural process of the mutation.

Why do they wish to increase their numbers? There is strength in numbers! This idea is too ingrained into their sheepish brains to let go of. And a good thing too because lately they have been subject to hungry attacks by an unspeakably horrible creature.

The PC's must enter the Kobold lair, defeat the Kobold guards and survive being set upon by vicious, partially mutated Dire Sheep. With that accomplished they must rescue the captured villagers and then flee the lair whereupon they are confronted with the true threat: The Mist Mind.

The Mist Mind is rather like a big Grell with shorter, weaker tentacles. A giant (say 15 feet across) disembodies brain that floats around the edges of the plateau looking for food. It is, at all times, surrounded by a flock of Mind Bats. These giant bats with enlarged and exposed brains protruding from their heads act as the feeding mechanism for the Mist Mind. They fly out and sieze up prey in their claws, bringing it back to be grabbed by the Mist Mind and pulled into its toothy maw. The bats themselved do not eat the prey, instead suckling a sort of "milk" from the tips fo the Mist Mind's tentacles. Whether this is a bizarre, symbiotic relationship or the Mind Bats are simply a juvenile form of the Mist Mind is of no consequence. All that matters is that it is creepy and dangerous!

*So when the main campaign rolls around, I'll give the players the same opening scene only that time their PC's will be the ones first picked by the initial recruiter. They can exit that scene wishing good luck to the NPC's left behind to take up this adventure which they've already played. Make sense?

Rechan

Adventurer
Rel, that is brilliant. Here I was thinking the Horrible Monster was just a big wolf that considered the Kobold-sheep a delicacy, and the Kobolds are still innately freaked by wolves. But that, that sir, is creepy.

Remove ads