I saw Top Gun Maverick (spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
... and I enjoyed it.

I love the first movie. I know not everybody does, but I do -- they general cheesiness, the music, the way it doesn't take itself too seriously. That movie has a lot of charm, warts and all.

I've read everywhere that this is a better movie than the first, and it probably is. I don't think it's quite as likable as the first, but anybody who liked the first one will like this one.

The final act is literally lifted from Star Wars though. The trench run. They even say 'stay on target!' at some point in the movie.

The 'antagonist come good' in this one, Hangman, is no Iceman. But he's fine. Fills the exact same role. On that note, it was good to include Val Kilmer. It's a bit sad, as in real life he can barely speak either.

I'm not clear whether Maverick leaves the Navy at the end or not. Maybe they are deliberately vague about that?

This feels more... clinical?... than the original. I'm not 100% the super hi-res crisp clean images make it better than the orange glow, haze, and silhouettes of the first movie. That said, the opening few minutes are basically exactly the same, even down to the music.

If you didn't like the first one, you might like this one -- it is less macho and a bit more thoughtful, and the aerial sequences are incredible. One thing I love about something like this is that it's not all CGI. It makes it feel more real; I feel adrenaline watching actual planes fly that I don't watching CGI planes fly. Also, when you know the stunts actually happened, it adds something solid to the movie.

It's not perfect. But it's a fun movie. Not as good as the first in my book, but depending on your feelings about the first that may be a good thing for you.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see that people sweat less in 2022 than they did in 1986.

I wasn't clear on what John Hamm and his sidekick's job was? In the original Jester and Viper were instructors. These two guys don't appear to be (and one's an admiral, right?) -- they just kinda hang around. Maverick appeared to be the only instructor there? Plus they followed the pilots to the aircraft carrier and then hung around there too.

Is it weird that I grew up in the 80s but have never seen Top Gun?
Maybe, but probably not as weird as not liking it despite being the G.I. Joe: ARAH-loving son of a former Navy mechanic who worked on fighters and who bought a VCR just for it because he was so exited.

I’m glad it’s getting good reviews, as I know a lot of people loved the original. I just never got it.

I see that people sweat less in 2022 than they did in 1986.

I wasn't clear on what John Hamm and his sidekick's job was? In the original Jester and Viper were instructors. These two guys don't appear to be (and one's an admiral, right?) -- they just kinda hang around. Maverick appeared to be the only instructor there? Plus they followed the pilots to the aircraft carrier and then hung around there too.

Not to digress, but that’s actually something I have been thinking about quite a lot lately, and was really brought home by another viewing of Casablanca last weekend. People don’t sweat in modern movies. Heck, people don’t sweat as much in real life anymore. I live in southeast Georgia (the state, not the awesome county), and thanks to AC I don’t sweat inside anymore, unlike I used to when younger. Heck, I don’t even sweat much when exercising, unless I’m doing a ten mile walk in the heat of summer (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit).

It’s so weird. Glad I’m not the only one who has noticed that about modern movies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not to digress, but that’s actually something I have been thinking about quite a lot lately, and was really brought home by another viewing of Casablanca last weekend. People don’t sweat in modern movies. Heck, people don’t sweat as much in real life anymore. I live in southeast Georgia (the state, not the awesome county), and thanks to AC I don’t sweat inside anymore, unlike I used to when younger. Heck, I don’t even sweat much when exercising, unless I’m doing a ten mile walk in the heat of summer (90-100 degrees Fahrenheit).

It’s so weird. Glad I’m not the only one who has noticed that about modern movies.
The sweating in the original Top Gun was an artistic choice -- they had people constantly spraying water into the actors' faces, whether they were in a plane, on an aircraft carrier, in a bar. It wasn't real sweat!

MLS-FIgure-10.jpg

What I want to know is if they justified (or attempted to justify) Maverick's age and career length. He's about a dozen years past mandatory retirement date without a significant break in service.

Remove ads