D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"No, sir. I'm no wizard. But travelling means acquiring unexpected companions."

He's no good at guessing the ages of dwarves, of course, and he has no idea when "used to be" might have been. The dwarf made no recognition of him mom, Jyn, and so it might have been longer than the thirty years she'd been living there.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you, Mister Ironslag. Perhaps you could tell us something of the gnolls? I've never seen one, live. But we knew they were here."

He doesn't volunteer that they are gnoll hunting, since it seems the dwarf might have had some unfortunate run-ins recently. But maybe he knows something of the magic they use?
 

log in or register to remove this ad



FitzTheRuke

Legend
Helgrim knew the Hardcheese name, a family of halflings that ran the Happy Cow tavern (and moneylenders). Lionel was unfamiliar to him, but was presumably a descendent of Fulbar Hardcheese, who had owned that tavern when Helgrim and the dwarves of the Ironeaters Clan had first arrived in Daggerford. Fulbar was long gone, Helgrim knew, and his descendants had continued the family business.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar and Dornuk had been setting up a tarp in what had been the north wing of the lodge, while the others spoke to the elderly dwarf. The skies had clouded out the stars and rain threatened to start at any moment. Suddenly, the night's air was split by a cackling howl. A voice called from down what had once been the lodge's access road (now a mostly overgrown trail, that led up a rise, on the top of which stood the lodge foundation), "Hawhooo! C'mon oud, dwarrrrff! I prrromise ta gobble yerr up quick! Make uz cummup derrre, an' I'll gobble yerr up sslow!"

The voice came from a bear-sized, mangy hyena that stood drooling at the arc of the trail as it led up to the ruins. Behind him stood two gnolls, eagerly holding arrows to their bow-strings.

GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Gnolls at Nandar Lodge
NandarLodge1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Trees, Rocks, Water; Visibility: Dim (Dusk), Dark under trees; Cover: Walls, Rocks
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Dornuk AC18* HP 10/71 HD 4/6 PP14* MA 3/3 BM 3/3 S.dc15
Escella AC14 HP 20/33 HD 0/6 PP18 SS 4/4 3/3 2/2 SP 5/5
Lionel AC16 HP 51/51 HD 4/6 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 37/39 HD 3/6 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 29/45 HD 1/6 PP13* SS 2/4 1/3 1/3
(NPCs)
Oh-Six AC13(18) HP 22/22 HD 4/4 PP15(20)* Shock+5,1d8; SS 2/3 fly60'
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Hyena "Worg" AC 13 HP27/27 PP12*
Gnolls AC14 HP22ea PP9*
-Gn1 22/22; Gn2 22/22;
GM: Begin Round One
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Helgrim curses loudly as the introductions are cut short by the shouted challenge. He was just getting to know these people and here come those gnolls again!

"No time fer theoretics, lad," the dwarf says to Tommi, keeping his voice down while picking up his axe again, straps a wicked looking warhammer to his belt and grabs a heavy steel shield embossed with a hammer and a foaming mug. If anything he looks more ready for battle than before, raising his shield and weapon before looking at the others with raised eyebrows as if waiting for them to hurry up.

Taunting the gnolls while stalling for time as his allies prepare for battle, Helgrim calls out loudly, "Ran out of fresher meat, did ye? Better hurry b'fore old age takes me first and spoils me taste completely!"

Quietly he adds to the others by the fireplace, "Might be they haven't noticed ye, so if any has some skill in sneakin' up behind 'em, this is yer chance."

OOC: Readying for battle, hoping to draw them to us.

Btw, I didn't see Helgrim in the Allies spoiler, so here's a line to insert:
Helgrim AC19 HP 58/58 HD 0/6 PP11 SD 0/5d8 dc15
 
Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi nods, and decides to duck round, climbing over the low stone wall of the ruin, and finds a place to hide. With a practiced circular motion, his sling uncoils from around his wrist.

OOC: Move and action: 60', hampered by difficult terrain. Heading south and then east, I thin khe can make either Q26 or V25 (depending on how much is difficult terrain), where he will attempt to
Bonus action: Hide 1d20+8=17.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi climbed over a broken part of the foundation wall and rolled across the grass. He came up behind a tree whose branches went all the way to the ground, and he took cover there. Helgrim was donning his shield and taunting the oversized, talking hyena and the gnolls, and Tommi was sure that they hadn't seen him move to where he was, whether they had known he was there or not.

OOC: Helgrim and Tommi have gone, but no one else (yet).
 



Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Lionel thought that he too could sneak out to get a good vantage point on the gnolls. He followed Tommi as quiet as he could and kept his crossbow ready.

Bonus Action: Cunning action (hide) Stealth check: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17
Action: Dash
Move: to about 10' behind Tommi

Does hidden creatures get advantage on attacks?
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
A while back...
Vairar sighs "Of course it had to be dwarves." he thinks as he introduces himself to the grizzled warrior.

As he and the orc removed themselves from the company - what a weird thought! - he worked slowly, tired after all the tribulations.
When the challenge came he nods at Lunn
"It seems you and I are again together. Don't run off. If you will hold them away, I can use Shatterpike. Otherwise I'd take the shield too."

Vairar looks over the monsters calling out, but doesn't show himself, reviewing the spells left to him.

OOC: I'll assume Lunn confirms he will be in the breach :D @Neurotic
Also, I'm still owing some redesign due to errata, I'll write a proposal by the end of the week
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The oversized hyena turned in circles down by the old road, growing impatient. Lunn and Vairar followed the foundation, staying low, until they were hunkered down in a pile of stones near where a grand entrance had once stood. Lionel joined Tommi under the tree out front, where they could see the gnolls slowly creeping forward, searching for targets among the rubble.

Escella knew the place well, and she moved to a spot where she had a wide-range of vision, and yet could not be seen from down by the road. This proved fortunate, as she heard some rustling in the undergrowth behind the lodge, and counted three gnolls moving toward them from behind, hidden deep in the shadows of the growing darkness.

OOC: No one attacked, including the gnolls, this round, so I'll roll it forward. Feel free to post any questions in the OOC.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Doughty Daggerfordians vs Gnolls at Nandar Lodge
NandarLodge2.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Trees, Rocks, Water; Visibility: Dim (Dusk), Dark under trees; Cover: Walls, Rocks
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Dornuk AC18* HP 53/71 HD 0/6 PP14* MA 3/3 BM 3/3 dc15
Escella AC14 HP 20/33 HD 0/6 PP18 SS 4/4 3/3 2/2 SP 5/5
Helgrim AC19 HP 58/58 HD 0/6 PP11* SD 0/5d8 dc15
Lionel AC16 HP 51/51 HD 4/6 PP14
Tommi AC14 HP 37/39 HD 3/6 PP17
Vairar AC18*(20*) HP 29/45 HD 1/6 PP13* SS 2/4 1/3 1/3
(NPCs)
Oh-Six AC13(18) HP 22/22 HD 4/4 PP15(20)* Shock+5,1d8; SS 2/3 fly60'
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
"Flind" AC14 HP65/65 PP10*
Hyena "Worg" AC13 HP27/27 PP12*
Gnolls AC14 HP22ea PP9*
-Gn1 22/22; Gn2 22/22;
-Gn3 22/22; Gn4 22/22;
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

Escella Bok
AC 14; HP 20/33; HD 0/1d8 0/5d6 PP18 SS 4/4 3/3 2/2 SP 2/5

Escella moves to n15 and casts Darkness in that spot using 3 sorcery points, 2 to enable her to see through the darkness and 1 to cast the spell silently and gesturelessly. As she walks past Helgrim she whispers, "Two gnolls and a flind are coming from that direction."
 

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Lionel, who haven't yet noticed the gnolls behind him, whispers to Tommi; If you take the right archer then I will take the left one. Let's fire at the same time. On three, Lionel let the bolt fly and, in the dim light, he could see that it hits the gnoll. The knoll was badly injured but was still standing.
Quickly, Lionel moved to another tree further south and tried to hide behind it. The tree was small but so was he, too.

 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi's eyes go wide -- he's nowhere near close enough to hit anything with his sling, and he's shaking his head no as Lionel fires. Suddenly desperate, he charges three stones, and moves to where he can lob one of them at the target Lionel just hit.

OOC: BOnus action: Magic Stone (3 stones left).
Lionel has just attacked AJ23 (I think). Tommi can't get SA on either right now, so he will
Move to Y20 (where he'll be able to be seen), and then
Attack AJ23 as well (range 60', no SA): 1d20+7=25 HIT damage=1d6+4=9 killing it, I believe.

Tommi is not hiding now
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Nodding to Escella as the magical darkness passes him by, Helgrim smiles tightly. Ah yes, these are certainly capable adventurers; young and inexperienced, but working together and utilising their strengths.

He laughs when he hears a gnoll get hit by something -- a bolt, and a pebble, possibly? -- and the battle is on.

Counting on the others to take the lead, Helgrim instead turns back to where the flind and the other two gnolls are, hoping to catch them off guard in their poor attempt at an ambush. While moving up to where Escella just came down from, the old dwarf produces his heavy crossbow and when he's in position, he spots one of the gnolls and fires a bolt at it.

OOC: Move to where Escella was (m22?), shoot heavy crossbow at the closest gnoll (g27):
1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
1D10 = [9] = 9 piercing damage
 


Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top