D&D 5E I'm not saying it's just an easy caravan guard job, but... (LMoP) (IC)

It is mid-afternoon of your third day out from Neverwinter, having just begun travelling on the Triboar trail, when the first sign of trouble strikes. You have had a pleasant journey so far; fair skies and winds that aren't too cool. The oxen proved well-used to the harness, and required little direction to stay on the road and move forward. However, the trail is less easy than the road; brush presses close in places, and you've had to drag a couple of thick branches off the trail already. In addition, it has a slight but distinct incline which has rendered the oxen less placid, and more tired, and frequent turns to get around this hillock or that. The wagon of supplies you are taking to Phandalin for a plump ten Neverwinter gold pieces each for a few days work has proven sturdy, and able to cope with the trail. And the pay is good, and the smell of the city is long gone; only fresh air around you for most of the journey.

However, it is the current situation which presents a problem. You've just come around one of the frequent bends on the trail, and there are two dead horses lying fifty feet ahead of you; arrows with black fletchings stick out of their bodies. The smell of blood is in the air, and flies buzz on their corpses, while a raven pecks at their flesh.

What do you do?

The OOC thread is here. The OOC thread is not carbon dioxide. Please do not use the OOC thread to put out fires.

Last edited:

Lana

First Post
I think we should:
1. Get rid of those crows, it's a sinister sight
2. Find out who are we dealing with, and if they are still around here (search for footprints or other signals)
3. Anticipate their attack, maybe someone should scout or take guard ahead, or set a decoy-trap.

What do you guys think?
[sblock="Whisper"]Send Idun to take a look at the crime scene, she's the most heavily armored anyway[/sblock]

Idunn

First Post
Idun chuckles a bit nervously as she steps off the wagon, making a clear effort to clink the chains of her armour together to reinforce her point. "If I go, I do guess the ravens will fly off.. but every other scavenger will come flocking instead."

Taking a good, long look at the scene from afar, Idun finds herself smiling, just a bit. A short minute ago, the two had sat together in the wagon and talked, joked, laughed together, enjoyed each other's company. Amazing how quickly that could turn into a hair-raising, tense situation.

"I'm eh.. ready to go, if I must." she says slowly, stroking the oxen gently as she walks up to its side, eyes darting cautiously all over the scene while her mouth tries to form a grin. "..but I'd much rather have a little company, if I have to be target practice? As much as I trust my armour, I think I'd rather trust a friend.."

"Er, not that I'd want you to get in harm's way, of course!" she quickly adds, continuing in a slightly defensive tone "I just.. don't think it's a good idea for me to go alone. Not to mention, I'm barely able to tell the footprint of a a bird from a horse."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Overton Henry had been dozing in the back of the wagon, but when it stopped, he lifted his head and reached for his cudgel and shield. Both had been angled to provide a slight elevate for his head -- a wooden pillow -- and weren't very comfortable. He rolled off the wagon, his slightly greasy hair dented flat on the back.

He disappeared into the woods, off the trail, as best he could. He heard the others talking -- he hadn't really spoken much to any of them this was just a short job after all -- and hear their intentions to approach. Without grunting assent, he slowly began moving his way forward, at the side of the path.

Stealth: [roll0]

Lana

First Post
(Cheesy text)

"I'm eh.. ready to go, if I must."
We all have to go together, just wait to hear what others think before you trip and fall into a trap.

Reconsidering the situation, I'll go ahead and check for any useful track or clue near the horses, meanwhile you can pray for them not to be undead horses

Last edited:

Idunn

First Post
"Right, yes.. I guess that's one way to look at it." Idun mutters, looking on hesitantly as Overton makes his way past her. "..but whatever happened to the horses, I think I'd rather avoid that happening to us. Or the cargo, for that matter."

With a quick glance over her shoulder, Idun shrugs and decides to follow along towards the scene.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Kel had been daydreaming and humming to himself when they came upon the sight of the dead horses. was the path blocked? Was this a trap? he thought. Swiftly he draws his bow and starts scanning the surrounds.

"Well that has ruined a nice day!" he laughs.

[roll0]

Idunn and Lana are checking out the horses, Henry is sneaking off into the brush to try to flank, and Kel is guarding the wagon with a bow?

As the barbarian and cleric approach the horses, they spot some badly-positioned Goblins attempting to hide in the brush. Their clever and logical positioning gives them complete bow coverage of about 25' of road from the horses. They have clearly heard you coming, and are alert, aware, and ready to attack. Sadly for them...

...Their positioning does not, however, actually hide them from anyone within that area. Sadly for Kel, it does hide them from him. Henry, however, quickly has one of them in his sights.

The Goblins rolled a natural '2' on Stealth.

Roll Initiative. Henry, you get a free shot (surprise round), because the Goblins don't even know you exist.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: Initiative: [roll0].

Surprise round: [roll1]. If successful, damage = [roll2].

IC:
Overton in the brush spies the goblins ahead. He reaches into his pocket and takes out three of the smooth stones he carries there, blows on them with a small prayer [[magic stone cantrip]], and whips one at the nearest goblin.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases