D&D General I'm reading the Forgotten Realms Novels- #202 The Howling Delve by Jaleigh Johnson (Dungeons 2)

Count_Zero

Adventurer
Also, if you're looking a way to get through some of these on your commute, a lot of the Forgotten Realms books are available from Audible, though they are something of a mixed bag. The Drizzt Do'Urden books are generally solid, whereas stuff like Darkwalker on Moonshae is... less so (Darkwalker on Moonshae has the problem with changing pronunciations of words mid-book, for example).

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I haven't counted them all, but are you guys including the Gamebooks in that count?

I didn't in my count of the FR novels I own (as gamebooks are not technically novels), but that adds quite a number to the total.

However, for lore reasons (if one is reading FR for that) there are some gems among the gamebooks that should not be missed.

(edit - Admittedly, more of them [at least those I have] seem to deal with Greyhawk, but there are those like Knight of the Living Dead that have a wealth of information in them).

For now, just the novels.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Hi!
Is the Sellsword trilogy (about Jarlaxle & Entrerei) in your list? I loved those!
And The War of the Spider Queen books? I enjoyed the rich complexity added to drow society in that series.

I've listened to all the Drizzt books thus far (shout-out to Victor Bevine's excellent accents) & am now relistening to all 47ish (Cleric Quintet + the aforementioned series included). I have been wanting to branch out into more of the forgotten realms storyline. Therefore I'm following this thread for new suggestions of great Forgotten Realm books!

Wow. I am incredibly envious of your reading speed... I take it that comes from years of teaching English? Mine is abysmal (hence audible so I can listen to books while doing everything!)

When I was a lecturer I had to do marking, lots of marking- so second semester that would be 10 or so dissertations (20,000 words each), and a hundred other assignments every semester (3,500 to 5,000 words each). Three weeks turn round, and then there's the second marking...

I'm reading these books quickly because, well... I'm in to them, they're almost universally (so far) very easy to read. Also, I have the time- I'm semi-retired, I work a couple of days a week.

I would do a multiple quote and answer all three respondents in one reply, but I can't figure out how to do that (I've tried and failed several times). So, reading lots of books (whatever the subject) is not a sure fire indication of intelligence.

Cheers goonalan

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Also, if you're looking a way to get through some of these on your commute, a lot of the Forgotten Realms books are available from Audible, though they are something of a mixed bag. The Drizzt Do'Urden books are generally solid, whereas stuff like Darkwalker on Moonshae is... less so (Darkwalker on Moonshae has the problem with changing pronunciations of words mid-book, for example).

I read my friend, that's what I do- I don't have a mobile phone, laptop, TV or indeed any other technological device that would allow me (save my ancient PC at home- the thing that I am sitting at now) to listen to audio books. Besides... as Bill Hicks once said- "We've got ourselves a reader..."

Cheers goonalan

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
#009 Song of the Saurials by Kate Novak & Jeff Grub (Finder's Stone Trilogy Book 3)
Read 20/9/19 to 22/9/19

Forgotten Realms Song of the Saurials (Finder's Stone 3) a 30.jpg

Book 3- the story of the Nameless Bard and the Harpers, and of course my favourite bad guy of all of the books so far- Moander, the original filth and the fury, the deity is clearly just misunderstood. This one is a twisty-turny book, with lots of lies, half-truths, followed by startling revelations. Basically the gang from book one are back together, and the chaos which is unleashed is another of Moander's cunning plans to get himself back to Faerun and on with his plot for world domination.

So mid-trial (of sorts) the bad guys make themselves known- whisk the Nameless Bard away (or cause him to be whisked away) and murderise some folk before leaving. Then the chase is on- a sprawling chase which seems to head in all directions at once. There's a lovely bit in which Olive and the Nameless Bard visit the latter's old magical labs, I'll not divulge the enemy they find there... but, it's a cracker. It seems Moander is missing his favourite sock-puppet mage Akabar (Akabar is the best- what a guy), the big guy is just lonely.

At the centre of the story is the Finder's Stone (of course) although more important is the quest to get Finder Wyvernspur (Damn, SPOILERS- the Nameless Bard) to finally admit his arrogance and in the process deny Moander a gateway back to the world.

In the end, of course, it all works out- Alias gets a voice- and a song to sing (and a life), Dragonbait saves his fellow Saurials from slavery (Oh and there's a new Saurial character to admire in this book- check out the cover), Akabar- well, he does the right thing, Olive is our guide to the action and the Nameless Bard (boo-hoo) learns to love someone other than himself (probably).

Read!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
#009 Song of the Saurials by Kate Novak & Jeff Grub (Finder's Stone Trilogy Book 3)
Read 20/9/19 to 22/9/19

View attachment 114832

Book 3- the story of the Nameless Bard and the Harpers, and of course my favourite bad guy of all of the books so far- Moander, the original filth and the fury, the deity is clearly just misunderstood. This one is a twisty-turny book, with lots of lies, half-truths, followed by startling revelations. Basically the gang from book one are back together, and the chaos which is unleashed is another of Moander's cunning plans to get himself back to Faerun and on with his plot for world domination.

So mid-trial (of sorts) the bad guys make themselves known- whisk the Nameless Bard away (or cause him to be whisked away) and murderise some folk before leaving. Then the chase is on- a sprawling chase which seems to head in all directions at once. There's a lovely bit in which Olive and the Nameless Bard visit the latter's old magical labs, I'll not divulge the enemy they find there... but, it's a cracker. It seems Moander is missing his favourite sock-puppet mage Akabar (Akabar is the best- what a guy), the big guy is just lonely.

At the centre of the story is the Finder's Stone (of course) although more important is the quest to get Finder Wyvernspur (Damn, SPOILERS- the Nameless Bard) to finally admit his arrogance and in the process deny Moander a gateway back to the world.

In the end, of course, it all works out- Alias gets a voice- and a song to sing (and a life), Dragonbait saves his fellow Saurials from slavery (Oh and there's a new Saurial character to admire in this book- check out the cover), Akabar- well, he does the right thing, Olive is our guide to the action and the Nameless Bard (boo-hoo) learns to love someone other than himself (probably).

Read!

As much as I liked Azure Bonds, it felt a lot like a retread of the computer game, but with a different protagonist (even though, technically, it's a prequel novel--I played the game before I read the book). I don't have strong feelings about the second book, but man, did I love Song of the Saurials. I think I would rather have had saurials added as a core race to D&D than Dragonborn. Plus, thanks to Reaper Bones IV, I actually have quite selection of dino-folk minis (both fantasy and sci-fi).

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
As much as I liked Azure Bonds, it felt a lot like a retread of the computer game, but with a different protagonist (even though, technically, it's a prequel novel--I played the game before I read the book). I don't have strong feelings about the second book, but man, did I love Song of the Saurials. I think I would rather have had saurials added as a core race to D&D than Dragonborn. Plus, thanks to Reaper Bones IV, I actually have quite selection of dino-folk minis (both fantasy and sci-fi).

I've never played the computer game so I've no point of reference there.

But the Saurials- coolest kids on the block, in-built ethics compass, honour-bound and built to last, the trouble would be deciding when to stop handing out the bonuses- +2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, +2 AC etc.

Cheers goonalan

Curse of the Azure Bonds was such a multimedia blitz - videogame, books, module. She appeared in the comics and the Forgotten Realms calendar. All it was lacking was a cartoon or movie. Okay, and a breakfast cereal (but let's not get too silly here).

It wasn't quite a Dragonlance-level campaign, but it had more of a push than any other of the FR properties back then.

Not a review but... Drizzt is as cool as everyone says, I so wanted to dislike him but alas, I do however now really want to find out how he escaped to the surface- what came before. Thanks Salvatore, first book and I'm hooked. Learned a lot about Icewind Dale and the Ten Towns, also lots of other good stuff about- Barbarians and their honour bound crazy ways, also nice power mad Wizard (being manipulated by the Crystal Shard), and plenty of other good stuff to recommend. Loved Bruenor (I heart Dwarves, what can I say- they're dependable) superb enemy- Errtu (the Balor).

Read!

In the first trilogy, Drizzt wasn't a bad character. It wasn't until after this that he became the Gary Stu of all Gary Stu's. No weakness...the best at everything.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases