D&D 5E Invisible Stalkers and Grapples

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Did a quick search without seeing anything relevant, so here we go.

1. I know grappling is a skill check and not an attack roll (I disagree with the RAW here, but that is neither here nor there).
2. I know Invisible Stalkers are immune to the grappled condition.

So, my question is, can an Invisible Stalker grapple a creature?

I don't see any reason why not, but man that is harsh if you can grapple something and it can't grapple you...

FWIW, the depiction in the MM even show the Stalker "holding" a creature, implying it could grapple:
(especially the second one where the creature is lifted off of the ground)
1677009705170.png

Thoughts?

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Unlike the normal Air Elemental, the Invisible Stalker doesn't have the Air Form ability that lets them squeeze through 1 inch or enter another creature's space, so I'd say they're physical enough to grapple someone.

Purely RAW, I don't think anything stops them either way, besides maybe the need for a free hand, which they might or might not have depending on what you consider a hand.

Stalker0

Legend
Did a quick search without seeing anything relevant, so here we go.

1. I know grappling is a skill check and not an attack roll (I disagree with the RAW here, but that is neither here nor there).
2. I know Invisible Stalkers are immune to the grappled condition.

So, my question is, can an Invisible Stalker grapple a creature?

I don't see any reason why not, but man that is harsh if you can grapple something and it can't grapple you...

FWIW, the depiction in the MM even show the Stalker "holding" a creature, implying it could grapple:
(especially the second one where the creature is lifted off of the ground)
View attachment 276297

Thoughts?
It’s similar to a ghost which can also grapple. Intangibility is generally just a plus in 5e, not a give and take. The stalker can be “solid” enough to grapple other creatures, but then become “airy” enough to escape other grapples. Yep it’s a pretty solid ability.

This is also reinforced in sage advice

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It’s similar to a ghost which can also grapple. Intangibility is generally just a plus in 5e, not a give and take. The stalker can be “solid” enough to grapple other creatures, but then become “airy” enough to escape other grapples. Yep it’s a pretty solid ability.

This is also reinforced in sage advice
A pretty solid ability? Very punny.

Remove ads