D&D 5E Invocations that grant spells

Joe Liker

First Post
These questions are directed at people who play warlocks and have chosen one or more invocations that grant once-per-day access to a spell. (I'm not asking about invocations that give you at-will spells.)

Are you happy with your decision? Do you find it's worth it to sink both an invocation and a precious spell slot into a single ability? Do you use the spell in question as much as you thought you would (ideally, every day)?

(And please forgive my wording above -- I realize that the spell doesn't use up a slot if you choose not to cast it. But the fact remains that taking and using this type of invocation sucks up a lot of resources.)

Real experience preferred; armchair theorycrafting will be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Mephista

Adventurer
I find that, at low levels, I'm not reaching for those spells as much - too many other shiny things to grab. At mid to high levels, however, I'm finding that I'm grabbing them much more. A once-a-day elemental, while not as great as a Conjurer or Druid, is still pretty effective. Polymorph is a very potent spell.

All the once-a-day stuff are potent spells that could, in theory, be problematic if you could cast them with every single rest, never running out. Think of Polymorph, if it was just a regular spell. At level 12 or so when you get spell slot 3, you could theoretically cast that save-or-die spell 9 times a day on average. That's huge. While you can't get a genie or the two CR 6 elementals, Conjure Elementals is still a powerful spell. Bestow Curse, when cast as a level 5 spell, doesn't require Concentration.

The only thing I really think that should change about the Invocation Spells is that they shouldn't use a spell slot.

Pickles JG

First Post
Only theory craft from me. I could not bring myself to get any of them in either warlock I played as there are already far more spells available to me than I have slots to cast them very often & the opportunity cost in invocations is too high too. (ie you will never get the data you want from me)

All the once-a-day stuff are potent spells that could, in theory, be problematic if you could cast them with every single rest, never running out. Think of Polymorph, if it was just a regular spell. At level 12 or so when you get spell slot 3, you could theoretically cast that save-or-die spell 9 times a day on average. That's huge. While you can't get a genie or the two CR 6 elementals, Conjure Elementals is still a powerful spell. Bestow Curse, when cast as a level 5 spell, doesn't require Concentration.
The only thing I really think that should change about the Invocation Spells is that they shouldn't use a spell slot.

Polymorph was one spell I looked a in trying to make a go of a Warlock with these options. However a Sorcerer can cast it over and over again already - 5 times a day at 7th, 6 at 8th then more - but 5 or more without burning all of his low level slots. At 12 he can cast it 7 times a day with disadvantage on the save too. He does burn all his spells doing this but he can do it a bit less & keep other options open. Anyway if spammability is ever an issue then it's already an issue with sorcerers.

Its save or die quality can be mitigated a bit in this edition - allies can kill the new creature, if it's weak, which then reverts to its original form, and is not dead. Good against a lone monster.

I was contemplating using it for transforming - the option to become a T-REX appeals. Of course you can still be something versatile while relying on this - you are not just a one trick monkey (Giant Ape)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases