Is Hex worth keeping?

niklinna

satisfied?
I have been working on my first 5e warlock, and the more I look at Hex, well-regarded though it be, the less useful it seems at higher levels. I suppose any extra damage is nice, but Hex requires concentration, and I can see myself using a number of other concentration spells to better effect once I have them. So my question is, does it make sense to swap out Hex at some point, and if so, at what level would you do it?

Gavin O.

First Post
If you ever gain access to more 1st-level spell slots, such as with a multiclass, then hex is worth keeping your entire career, as the extra damage scales with your eldritch blast. As a pure Warlock, you would need to get quite a few hits with hex for its damage to be greater than fireball (4 rounds worth of 5th-level eldritch blasts, for each target you would have hit with the fireball), I'd probably start using it less if not replacing it around fifth level. A hexblade who uses weapons and doesn't already have a magic weapon should swap out hex for Elemental weapon as soon as they get it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you ever gain access to more 1st-level spell slots, such as with a multiclass, then hex is worth keeping your entire career, as the extra damage scales with your eldritch blast.

I have to agree - Warlock works really well with some low-level slots available from another class.

As a pure Warlock, you would need to get quite a few hits with hex for its damage to be greater than fireball (4 rounds worth of 5th-level eldritch blasts, for each target you would have hit with the fireball), I'd probably start using it less if not replacing it around fifth level. A hexblade who uses weapons and doesn't already have a magic weapon should swap out hex for Elemental weapon as soon as they get it.

Pure amount of damage, Hex wins. But that's not a good indicator.

Some math that Hex is more damage:

Hex does 0 on miss but is a rarely resisted damage type. Fireball is half on a save but is the most commonly resisted damage type. I'm going to call that a wash and just compare potential d6s. In other words, I'm assuming that the amount of damage lost even out between the two so I don't have to care about hit chance, save chance, resist fire, etc. Just a useful fiction.

Fireball is a 3rd level spell. Hex upcast to 3rd level lasts 8 hours. We'll consider that all adventuring day.
Fireball at 3rd does 8d6 in a 20' sphere. Considering placement not to hit allies, let's go with 3-4 foes hit. Sometimes will be more, sometimes less. More will happen with greater frequency, so let round that up to 4 foes. That's a potential of 32d6.

At 5th level, Eldritch Blast fires two beams. So Hex adds 2 potential d6 per round. (Pact Blade with the invocation also attacks at this rate.)
If the average encounter is 4 rounds, that's 8d6 potential d6s per combat.
With 6 encounters in a day, that's 48d6 potential.
So Hex, over time, at 5th give +50% the damage that fireball does.
(And 6 is the low end of 6-8 daily encounters from the DMG. Plus this ignores any Hex damage from reactions or bonus actions.)

Why Hex is still the worse choice:

Concentration - both takes up the slot and has a chance to be lost.
Need to use bonus action to move it as well as the action to apply it.
Can cast many fireballs in that time. Better nova.
It's boring to just spam at-will attacks. :)

Why Hex doesn't suck:

It does also grants disadvantage on one ability for checks, which can be useful if you have a grappler or shove fighter, a foe trying to do a STR check to get out of a web, etc.
It lasts 8 hours, so you can cast it and still have it up later combats after your short rest so its a free slot. Hex AND Fireball!

mellored

Legend
It really just depends on what other spells you want to use.

You can avoid other concentraiton spells, say armor or agatys, shatter, counterspell, fireball, synaptic shock, and use it just fine, since it scales quite well with eldritch blast and using less of your spell slots.

Or drop it in favor of other concentration spells, like hypnotic pattern, and summon daemons.

Either way works well.

niklinna

satisfied?
Thanks for the analyses and tips.

Warlock is a frustrating class to work with. The pacts & patrons have that spooky feel I like, but then mechanically it's a mess of restrictive and contradictory options and a frustrating spell list.

Gavin O.

First Post
Thanks for the analyses and tips.

Warlock is a frustrating class to work with. The pacts & patrons have that spooky feel I like, but then mechanically it's a mess of restrictive and contradictory options and a frustrating spell list.

I feel like the warlock class was build on the idea that the players would get way more short rests than then ended up getting. Warlock spell slots refresh on short rests (unique among caster classes) which would be fantastic if you got a short rest after every encounter, but with short rests lasting an hour, it's hard to fit them into adventuring days. Warlocks do actually get some excellent spell options and great class features (they have the best cantrip in the game, Devil's sight for magical darkvision, and great pact spells for every pact, but if you never get to refresh your spell slots, you're stuck chucking out three spells per day and then spamming eldritch blast.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The biggest issue with warlocks is their spell selection. They feel weak because they often miss out on many of the better spells.

Vymair

First Post
I did the darkness vs. hex comparison for my own warlock who has Devil's Sight (see in magical darkness). After round 4, the edge swings to darkness. I'm 7th level now and I rarely use Hex anymore. I've been casting Hold Person (3 targets), Hadar's and Evard's for control reasons. Hex may get cut here soon, I've held onto it for now, but I don't think I've cast it since 4th level.

Last edited:

Remove ads