Is this the death of the GOP?

Grimhelm

First Post
Recently I have noticed, along with many others, that the Republicans seem more interested in ideological debate than true policy decision making. Now, granted, this has been the case for nearly twenty or so years, but something gives me reason to pause.

It seems to me that the American public, especially in a time when they want to see more action and less grand standing, is beginning to see through the Republicans "ideologue machine". Even Republicans are beginning to see it. A miracle, certainly.

I have this weird political inkling in my tumbly that tells me that the longer the Republicans cling to this method of polarization and politicking, the deeper the hole becomes for them to climb out of in terms of winning another election.

I am going out on a limb here and declaring the death of the GOP. We may truly be at a crossroads, and that crossroads might spell out the beginning of new parties and new ways of looking at politics. We'll see. It is just an inkling. Maybe I am just hungry.

BobProbst

First Post
I am going out on a limb here and declaring the death of the GOP.
v33fhz.gif

I'd say that it's the death of Reagan's GOP -- which is where the moral ideologies got infused with Goldwater's message of fiscal responsibility and eventually eclipsed it.

thormagni

Explorer
I tend to think these sorts of things are cyclical. Much as the Dems didn't die in 1994, or 2002, I don't expect this to be the end of the GOP.

In fact, going out on a limb here, but I think a fickle public in districts that were very close this election, but largely broke Democratic, will turn again before the 2010 congressional elections. I guess I'm saying, I expect the GOP to pick up seats in 2010.

But I dunno. What do I know? Maybe this is 1932 and people will see an obstructionist GOP blocking a popular Democratic president. That seems to be what the polls are saying right now. And the support for Obama from McCain voters last night was very high.

Remove ads