Just a bit sad.

Carpe DM

First Post
Today I woke up, worried. I needed something great for my game this evening. I ran to the basement, broke open the box, and spent a great time thumbing through old Dungeon mags. Indeed, as I remembered, one of my old Dungeons had a list of 100 cool shop names that I just spent a happy morning building into my setting.

This isn't an angry screed. I just kind of regret the decisions Wizards has made, in wiping out my two favorite magazines.

I am an electronic junkie, WoW player, hell I teach classes in e-Commerce. But destroying the tactile element of D&D - the crinkle of paper, the heft of stacks of magazines, the clunk of the dice - that's not competing in the new marketplace. It just makes me a bit sad.

On the other hand, I have now placed a standing order for Paizo's products. I just got the Hook Mountain Massacre (I know, I know, I am behind). I can't stop reading it. I guess in five years I'll be breaking out the box of Pathfinders. Paizo is my master now.

Jasperak

Adventurer
I miss the print versions of Dungeon and Dragon too. :(

I work with computers all day; the last thing I want is to have to use my POC to enjoy the hobby in the same way I have for the past 20 some years. I am also the one that goes out and buys paper copies of books that are in public domain. Even If I can download them for free; I'd rather buy the print version. Reading anything greater than a short article on my screen makes my eyes bleed.

No thank you WOTC. I am not likely to purchase 4th edition even though I am interested in some of the changes that are being made. One much less likely customer here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I miss Dungeon, too.

Paizo puts out great stuff, and the Pathfinder adventures have been very good, but they aren't the "best value in gaming" that Dungeon was. I'd gladly give up production values in Pathfinder to add a non-path advanture (and lower the price) for it to be more Dungeon-like.

I really think WoTC missed out with this decision. There was something more to the magazines than the paper and adventures. There was comfort and nostalgia. They just don't care or feel this will force everyone into their electronic book DI / Gleemax.

I wouldn't say I am stopping buying 4.0 because of the lack of the magazines but it didn't help either.

At this point, Pathfinder is just too expensive for me to even consider. Kobold I want but from what I saw, the first few issues are strictly electronic. My understanding is beginning with issue 3 they have physical editions. Something i want but at 4 times a year it is not the same.

There is a new age in DnD. Not 3.5 vs 4.0 but the whole mindset behind it. I am not sure if it is a good one or not..... time will tell.

Treebore

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I miss Dungeon, too.

Paizo puts out great stuff, and the Pathfinder adventures have been very good, but they aren't the "best value in gaming" that Dungeon was. I'd gladly give up production values in Pathfinder to add a non-path advanture (and lower the price) for it to be more Dungeon-like.

I agree they are not the "best value in gaming" in terms of adventures/dollar, but I would argue that they are the best adventures for your money. The more I reread them, the more convinced I am they are some of the best adventures D&D has ever seen.

balterkn

First Post
megamania said:
Kobold I want but from what I saw, the first few issues are strictly electronic. My understanding is beginning with issue 3 they have physical editions. Something i want but at 4 times a year it is not the same.

KQ was print from the first issue (I have them). Issues 1 and 2 are completely sold out, issue 3 still has some print editions remaining (checked www.koboldquarterly.com just before posting). He is still selling PDFs of all issues.

My understanding from posts Wolfgang Baur has made is that KQ will upgrade frequency if there is sufficient demand and community participation (people who write articles). I don't remember where I saw that post, but do remember it was addressed in one of the editorials in issue 2.

Remove ads