killer combo or pipe dream??

Damror

First Post
Ok, so I'm playing a super munchkin in RttToEE. I was looking over some spell combos for my very multiclassed sorcerer when I noticed this:

Mirror image + displacement = ?????

Now, on a strict reading of the rules it seems to say that the mirror images would be displaced because they appear just as the caster does. If the caster is invisible, so too are the images. So if the caster is displaced wouldn't the images be displaced too?

That's bad enough. But now consider this: even if the images are not displaced, they are still providing a real good miss chance. For example, if there were 4 images plus the caster, the caster will only be attacked 1/5 of the time, or 20%. Thus a mirror image spell that produces 4 images is providing an 80% miss chance, but determined differently that normal miss chances.

furthermore, let's not forget that the caster himself is still displaced, causing the ever popular 50% miss chance.

So, it seems to me that if I was displaced and under a mirror image (4 images, for example) my opponents would have to select randomly which "caster" they will attack (as per mirror image, roughly an 80% miss chance with 4 images), then if they hit, they would have to roll 50% miss chance ( as per displacement) to see if they actually hit what they were swinging at (an image or my character, depending on which they attacked).

All this means that either I won't be getting hit by anything that doesn't have true seeing, or I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.

What do you think?? Will it work?? Besides true seeing, tremor sense and blind fighting, does anyone see any other ways around it??

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I expect some fighters, even those without Blind-Fight, would just close their eyes and let their hearing guide them. It's happened before...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Ghostform is the way to go...

Hehe, I prefer Ghostform + Mirror Image. Raining death from above while flying through solid objects is the only way to go.

You still have the 50% miss chance, but get protection from non-magical weapons and many spells.

Dwarmaj

Droid101

First Post
Re: Ghostform is the way to go...

Dwarmaj said:
Hehe, I prefer Ghostform + Mirror Image. Raining death from above while flying through solid objects is the only way to go.

You still have the 50% miss chance, but get protection from non-magical weapons and many spells.

Dwarmaj
Only PHB spells are legitimate.

Damror

First Post
Only PHB spells are legitimate.

Actually, its the level that is prohibitive. Ghostform is cool, but my character has 4 classes and I doubt he'll ever make it to 10th level sorcerer. 8th is about as far as he'll go, so I have to keep it focused on low level spells. so far I've got True Strike and Shield.

Remove ads