• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

3.5 Knightfall's Aerie of the Crow God [Kulan] (IC)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Carnell
Village (pop. 305)
Authority Figures: Her Ladyship, Elisabeth Pendour (female human); Sir Gareth Porthglaze (male human) [Sheriff]; Lord Gar Ebal (male human); Sir Ghal Ebal (male human).
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: You all can now post a PC introduction if you want. The party is just outside of Carnell heading west towards Gurnard's Head. It is raining with a strong wind.
 

Blackrat

Villager
Lorien held down his hood as a gust of wind blew rain on his face. Even soaked he managed to look like a noble he was. The silvery hair and piercing green eyes shined from beneath the hood and he tried to keep the spirits up by humming to a soothing tune. With a flick of a wrist he could have conjured an instrument to play, but the rain would have just ruined his performance, and he hated nothing more than playing poorly.

He took a look around the group and looked back on how he had come to know such individuals.

There was the other elf from his homeland, Sheyla. Faithfull of Corellon no less. That's all Lorien really knew of her, and he didn't even know wether she knew he was of noble house or not. It didn't matter, it felt good to have someone from home to talk to. He hadn't been back to Silverleaf for over a decade.

Then there was the barbarian from the north. He was from a tribe allied to the elves Lorien had spent nearly two decades with. It made him feel safe, for they were fierce warriors.

The druid seemed a bit strange, but Lorien appreciated his knowledge of the wilds.

And lastly the gladiator they had picked up recently. Lorien hadn't yet made up his mind of this human.

So he trudged along, the weather weighing down his mood, but confident that they were going to succeed on their task.
 

Thanee

Villager
Sheyla

As the rain started, Sheyla had put her weapons and some other equipment into her backpack, to keep them dry. Even though, the weapons are much longer than the small backpack, they vanished entirely within. Magical with no doubt. The flames flickering around her wrist were unimpressed by the rain, another obviously magical effect, but that was clear even before the rain had started.

Judging from her weaponry and armour, one would easily mistake her for a warrior or a ranger, the quite typically elven dress pointing more to the latter, but during the travels it quickly becomes obvious, that she is, in fact, a cleric. Every morning, when the dawn breaks, she sits down in meditation and prayer to Corellon, whose symbol she wears with pride.

Having seen a few dangers in her adult life already, Sheyla has become watchful and vigilant, even now, that they are approaching the village of Carnell, her emerald eyes are scanning the vincinity.

The hood from her cloak drawn over her head, she holds on to it with her right hand, when another gust of wind blows over the fields.

“The settlement is a welcome sight. A few walls and a rooftop will do wonders against the wind and the rain.”
 

renau1g

Villager
Halmar the Unseen

The tall barbarian drew his enchanted cloak tighter around himself as the rain and wind picked up, trying, unsuccessfully to keep the rain off him. Halmar had been traveling a long time and a great distance from his tribe in order to prove himself worthy to lead his tribe. The barbarian had only heard of the skill and grace of the elves from the elders of the clan, but after spending time with his companions, Halmar thought the tales were understated.

He leaned his head back and felt the cool rain fall onto his rough face, his long hair, normally wild and unkempt, sat flattened against his head. Halmar had been trained to be nearly as silent as the elves, and even been gifted some items that assisted him keep out of sight. The human carried a large greataxe at his side, its haft nearly dragging on the ground, and a longbow across his back. Halmar's most prized possession lie hidden under his cloak, the mithril breastplate was as light as a simple chain shirt and didn't impede his movements in any way. His father had given Halmar the treasured heirloom from their family before he left on his quest.

Turning his thoughts to the situation at hand, Halmar looked upon the settlement and at Sheyla's words he turned and smiled. "I must agree with you on that, it would do well to have a few moments of rest and a warm meal.
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If you hadn't been searching for the thorp of Carnell, you might have missed it in the rain and wind.

The rumor was that a noble lady named Elisabeth Pendour needed help to find some sort of family heirloom, a key of some sort. Something that that was lost when her husband died suddenly.

The barman of The Wet Whistle (named Keth) in the town of Kells, to the northeast, had told you that the Lord Pendour had been a soldier or perhaps even an adventurer. Keth had recommended that you travel to Carnell and seek out a man named Sir Gareth Porthglaze, the small community's sheriff. Porthglaze would be able to introduce you to Lady Pendour.

Keth also recommended an inn/tavern called Gurnard's Arms. He said to ask for a woman named Rosemergy.

Dark clouds are gathering overhead. Lightning flashes in the sky above and the blowing rain turns to a driving torrent of sleet in the late afternoon Spring air.
 
Last edited:

Blackrat

Villager
As they get to the village Lorien looks at the sign of the tavern and smiles. Now this was his stage. The local gathering place where knowledge was free if you knew how to ask, and where people were always delighted to hear a good tale or listen to some music.
Well. Shall we get our cloaks dried and see if we can find this Sir Porthglaze? If he's anything like the other constables of these country villages, he'll propably be at the tavern warming by the fire.
 

renau1g

Villager
Halmar will follow the lead of the elf, having long since learned to trust his instincts in matters of dealing with people. Halmar was always uncomfortable dealing with the Southerners, and was usually too blunt for their liking, a trait respected amongst his people. However the idea of the warm fire overcame any misgivings about entering the town and the tall barbarian nods to Lorien.
 

Dog Moon

Villager
Reneg squints through the hazy rain, seeing the village in the distance. All these Druid spells he has, he thinks, and there isn't one to make him travel through rain as if it wasn't there. He didn't think that spell would be particularly difficult to learn, especially for him...

Oh well, there was nothing he could do about that now. That crazy old shaman who lived alone in the hut atop the hill had told them he would find his girlfriend in time, but only if he joined with the first group of travelers he encountered, which happened to be these people. They seemed alright, at least, except maybe the Bard. He always seemed to be making strange noises and talking a lot. At least the Bard seemed to appreciate his knowledge of the woods. That was something. As they approached the small village, Reneg realized he could probably appreciate the Bard in return very shortly. If the Bard could deal with people that meant he, Reneg, did not have to.

"Let's go, Broo," he says, patting the horse's neck gently. "We may be heading towards city-folk, but at least it'll be dry."

OOC: Sorry about the delay, I totally missed the creation of the in campaign thread until this morning.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The sign of Gurnard's Arms hangs at an awkward angle. The door of the inn & tavern stands slightly ajar and the light of a flickering fire shines from somewhere within. The noise of loud snoring can be heard from within in between the sound of the gusting of the wind. The rain pounds on the overhang above you as Lorien leads the way inside.

Inside you find a near empty room filled with well used tables and only half-a-dozen useable chairs. A low bar stands to one side of the room opposite a roaring fireplace. An old dog lies next to the bar; it doesn't move a muscle as you step through the doorway. An old but sturdy looking stairway climbs the back wall of the inn to the second floor.

The inn's three best chairs sit next to the fireplace. Two of them are occupied by two old men who appear to be locals. One is the source of the snoring while the other warms his hands close to the fire. He cocks his head slightly before speaking.

"The inn is closed right now, but you're welcome to stay and dry off. Old Rosie will be around later if you want something from the kitchen or a room. And don't mind old Wilber's snoring. He's had a tough day... damn cold and rain."
 

Blackrat

Villager
"Ah, thank you good man." Lorien says and sweeps the hood off of his head, revealing the shining silver hair and his pointy ears. He shakes lightly to get most of the water off him. "The rain's been on our back for better half of the day, and a warm hearth is a welcome sight indeed" He swings the cloak from his back and spreads it to dry. The clothes underneath are sturdy and practical, if somewhat ornate for human eyes. "We are looking for the village constable actually. Sir Porthglaze we've been told. Our friend up north told to look out a woman called Rosemergy too, in case she could help us. I imagine that would be this Rose you referred to."
 

Thanee

Villager
Sheyla

“...and...” Sheyla adds “...we are definitely up for something from the kitchen and a room or a few later.”
 

renau1g

Villager
Halmar will ignore the two men sitting by the fire, shaking his head at the poor beast lying next to the bar. "Better to put it out of its misery than let it exist like this" he thinks, as he walks over to one of the open tables. The barbarian unstraps his greataxe from his belt, and unslings his bow leaning them in the corner closest to him.

Halmar gingerly sits in the chair, slowly lowering himself into the seat, in case it can't hold his weight. Thinking that Wilbur had the right idea, Halmar will put his head down on the table, using his pack as a pillow, and close his eyes, the weariness of the road beginning to weigh on even his strong form.
 

Dog Moon

Villager
"Is there room in the stables for my horse Broo?" Reneg adds, still currently standing in the doorway after all the others have entered.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Ah, thank you good man." Lorien says and sweeps the hood off of his head, revealing the shining silver hair and his pointy ears. He shakes lightly to get most of the water off him. "The rain's been on our back for better half of the day, and a warm hearth is a welcome sight indeed" He swings the cloak from his back and spreads it to dry. The clothes underneath are sturdy and practical, if somewhat ornate for human eyes. "We are looking for the village constable actually. Sir Porthglaze we've been told. Our friend up north told to look out a woman called Rosemergy too, in case she could help us. I imagine that would be this Rose you referred to."
“...and...” Sheyla adds “...we are definitely up for something from the kitchen and a room or a few later.”
"The sheriff... Gareth is up at the manor, right now. Rosie is out rounding up her sheep, I guess. If you sit and wait, I'm sure they'll both be around in a while. You could share a tale or two with old Timmins while you wait, eh?" The old man turns to look at you and raises an eyebrow upon seeing your features. "Elves, eh? Did you come in from the islands? Frey, eh?"

"Is there room in the stables for my horse Broo?" Reneg adds, still currently standing in the doorway after all the others have entered.
"You'll find the community barn two buildings over. You can't miss it. I hope your horse doesn't mind sharing his space with pigs and sheep." The old-timer tucks his arms under a wool blanket and coughs horsely. "Damn this weather. It's going to be the death of me."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Halmar will ignore the two men sitting by the fire, shaking his head at the poor beast lying next to the bar. "Better to put it out of its misery than let it exist like this" he thinks, as he walks over to one of the open tables. The barbarian unstraps his greataxe from his belt, and unslings his bow leaning them in the corner closest to him.

Halmar gingerly sits in the chair, slowly lowering himself into the seat, in case it can't hold his weight. Thinking that Wilbur had the right idea, Halmar will put his head down on the table, using his pack as a pillow, and close his eyes, the weariness of the road beginning to weigh on even his strong form.
The chair creaks under your weight but it holds. The table seems structurally sound despite its apparant age. The old dog lifts its head, curiously, at the sounds you make. It yawns and stretches before rolling over on to its back with its paws posed in the air.

The sound of the rain hitting the roof attempts to lull you to sleep. As your eyes flutter open and close you notice a glint of light along the wall behind the bar. The soft red and yellow glow from the fire seems to be reflecting off something made of metal.
 

Thanee

Villager
Sheyla

“No, we took the road,” Sheyla answers swiftly, then looks for a seat, as they were likely to stay for a while and wait for the woman Rosie and the constable.

The elven cleric removes her cloak and hangs it somewhere near to dry, and she puts her backpack down near her chosen seat.
 

renau1g

Villager
Halmar had just closed his eyes, when something caught his attention behind the bar. Having long been on edge when it came to civilization, the barbarian will walk over to the bar, trying to look as if he wants to pet the old dog.

He glances behind the bar as he crouches to scratch the top of the dog's head.
 

Dog Moon

Villager
"You'll find the community barn two buildings over. You can't miss it. I hope your horse doesn't mind sharing his space with pigs and sheep." The old-timer tucks his arms under a wool blanket and coughs horsely. "Damn this weather. It's going to be the death of me."
Reneg glances at the horse which gives him a pained expression before shivering slightly. "It'll do," Reneg says. "Broo would prefer to be out of the rain."

Reneg brings Broo to the barn and, after taking very good care of the horse, returns to the inn.
 

Advertisement

Top